Hotel/Resort similar to Rendezvous Bay on Anguilla`

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went to Anguilla and stayed at Rendezvous Bay several years ago (maybe 5 yrs ago?) and hadn't been back to the Caribbean since then, until our trip to Grenada that we returned from in early May. Now, after being in Grenada for 10 days, I want to start researching a trip to the Caribbean for next year.

We loved Anguilla and the beach was spectacular at Rendezvous Bay Resort. But it looks like they have converted to villas now.

What hotels are similar? Would like to walk out of the room and onto the beach, and definitely need a/c. A hotel with a restaurant would be nice too.
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Well, it's not a hotel per se, but the beachfront units at Carimar on Anguilla could fit the bill. The units are pleasant and comfortable and the a/c works great in the bedrooms (no a/c in the rest of the unit, but the breezes are usually ample), plus you get the bonus of a kitchen. Meads Bay, where Carimar is located, is gorgeous, and you have three very fine restaurants all within a very easy walking distance along the beach (Blanchards, Jacala, Straw Hat) as well as a couple of very good local places an easy drive or longer walk away (B&D's BBQ for cheap eats and Lucy's for a moderate price).

Then again, if you just paid LaLuna and Spice Island prices, Carimar, while a bargain, might be a bit too casual for what you're looking for. Do you have a price range in mind?

(FYI: Rendezvous Bay was slated to become luxury condos but there's been no move to renovate since they got destroyed in Anguilla's last major hurricane. I think between the construction boom and the recession they got a little lost in the shuffle. They're very sad to look at now.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

We didn't really pay LaLuna and Spice Island prices; we paid skyauction.com prices! Carimar looks very nice. Will keep it in mind.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM

I've never stayed at Rendezvous Bay so I'm not sure what would be similar nor do I know the price range but Frangipani comes to mind. We had a wonderful unit with a living room and kitchen and our friends had a kitchenette in their room. I think they offer just rooms as well. Straw Hat restaurant has relocated to the Frangipani property (yay! no more getting lost in the dark). It's right on Meads Bay, one of my favorite Anguillan beaches.

Or how about the newly renovated and renamed Anacaona Hotel? It used to be La Sirena. It's not directly on the beach but it's only a short walk to Meads Bay. My brother stayed there a few years ago (pre-renovation) and loved it. The pictures look really nice.

I prefer being on the West End but maybe one of the properties on Shoal Bay would work? I know one of them gets much better ratings than the others but I don't know which one it is. Maybe someone else can chime in or else consult Trip Advisor.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

I'll check out the website for Frangipani. Anacaona Hotel, if its not right on the beach, is not an option. We want to be able to walk right outside our room and be on the beach.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
http://sbvillas.ai/

We loved this place. Yes, it was a bit older, but our balcony was right on the beach (the nearest we've ever been) and there were many restaurants and bars within walking distance (like Zara's for diinner-fantastic)

If you would like a newer place "Ku" was next door.