Notices

Blue Waters vs Long Bay Hotel

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Waters vs Long Bay Hotel

Can't pick between the 2. BW looks nice but I have read some ify reviews lately. I was considering dlx beach at BW or roundhouse at LB. Any pros or cons would be helpful. Like good: food,service,snorkle and view and don't like to spend a lot of $$ to get it..
Thanks
jb
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Long Bay is my favorite place to stay in Antigua. I've visited Blue Waters but never stayed there. The two have a completely different feel to them, so depending on what you're looking for, the spirit of each place will probably determine which place you'd prefer.

Blue Waters is a lovely property. Nicely manicured, rather lush. Its two beaches are both on the small side but are both soft, white sand. I ate lunch there one day and my sandwich was quite good and the service was good--a little hovering, but good. Based on my hour or so on the property, it had a more formal feel to it than Long Bay. A little country clubbish. Not a "See and be seen" place, and not any kind of attitude, just more formal. I never saw any rooms, but I thought to myself that if I were ever to stay at BW, I would want the villa on the peninsular. It looked gorgeous!

The first time I stayed at Long Bay, it felt like coming home. It is very relaxed--the owner lives on site and walks around with bare feet all day long until the dinner dress code kicks in. It's on the dry side of the island so there aren't lush garden walkways like at BW, and it overall has a more rugged feel to it. It doesn't feel like a hotel--more like I'm a lucky guest in somebody's beach house. Most of the staff have been there for simply ages and they are very warm and inviting.

The beach is beautiful and shared with one other hotel at the other end. IN my visits in June, July and Novemeber, the beach was never crowded. Snorkeling is good as there is a reef about 200 feet offshore. There is also a bay on the other side of the property that is great for other water sports. IN fact, you can kayak from the pier in the bay to a tiny private beach with a picnic lunch--great fun!

Menu for breakfast and lunch is the same each morning--you can get a full English breakfast or just cereal and fruit if you wish. No buffets. Lunch menu is sandwiches, salads, fresh fish, and usually one special. Dinner is a wonderful 4-course meal--soup, appetizer, entree, dessert. A choice for each dinner course. Excellent food preparation. They'll accommodate food requests such as lighter meals or vegetarian meals if they get requests in advance.

Rooms--the regular hotel style rooms are good sized and have the best ventilation of any place on the property (rememner, no A/C in the rooms). The views from the private balcony are very nice--you're within about 10 feet of the water's edge in these rooms. You can see out to Devil's Bridge in the distance. The drawback to these rooms is the bathroom--they're rather cramped. The Roundhouse Cottage offers the least privacy of any cottage and I wouldn't recommend it. Windows on all sides, and if you draw the curtains you'll block the breezes. Sidewalk goes right past it. Best cottage for breezes is the Harbor House, which is very big. I stayed there when I got married at Long Bay last June. Nice patio with umbrella table and chairs. View is good, but your only view is of the bay, not the Caribbean. Best cottage for privacy and views is the View House, which is high on a hill where you can see both the bay and the Caribbean. Huge space with nice sitting area indoors and out, also with your own hammock. I stayed here for a week in July and some nights it was a little too hot to sleep. I asked for an additional floor fan and that took care of any discomfort.

I'll be going back to Long Bay this November for a short stay and I haven't decided whether I'll want to book a regular room on the second floor, or book the Harbor House. Some of my most wonderful memories are tied up in Long Bay, so please take my review with a grain of salt. Blue Waters may be more of your style with it's clubby atmosphere. Long Bay is not posh and it's not refined, but the comforts that it offers go so far beyond a marble bathroom that I never miss that sort of thing when I'm there.
Feel free to inquire with other questions about Long Bay. Hope you enjoy Antigua, no matter where you decide to stay!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Your respose was just what I needed.Much thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:29 PM

johnb: i just went back through some of my photos from previous Antigua trips and ran across a couple from my lunch at Blue Waters. The property is really much prettier than Long Bay. It is also more refined and more elegant than LB. If the look of the resort is important to you, you may be happier at BW. I'd hate to misadvise you based on my own passion for Long Bay. Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time and post a trip report upon your return!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

THANKS..I have been in phone contact with Chris and we have email each other several times. Chris seems so nice, I think we are going for it. Your info has been so helpful. If you go to Tripadvisor there are some not so nice reviews of BW. We can handle low key, you can see the difference from their 2 web sites. I guess pretty isn't everything? Chris said he is closing until November so we are looking at April 19th..Again much thanks!
JB