public transportation in rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Rome with our 3 children. We will have 5-6 pieces of luggage. Any advice on how to get from Rome airport (FCO) to the Marc Aurelio hotel most efficiently? The hotel is just off the Cornelia Metro Stop.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM

As you're travelling with 5pax and the same in luggage, I'd suggest either:
1. take the Leonardo Express Train (tickets Euro 14.00 each, validate in box at platform before getting on train) from FCO to Termini station (the main train station), then if you still want to take public transport, make your way to the Metro (signs easy to follow from main hall when you get off the train) to Linea A in the direction of Battistini. You'll need to purchase 5 x Euro 1.00 BIT transport passes from the machines/office or the Tabbacchi (newsstand) and validate in the yellow and grey boxes before you get on the Metro. Cornelia station is pretty cavernous, and when you get off the train and get to the first top of stairs, you'll go through the ticket turnstills and will need to work out to go left or right - have sneaking suspicion it's right, but don't quote me. Keep going all the way up the two series of escalators, then you'll see Uscita signs again going left or right, with the name of the road on either side (via dei Monte di Creta is the one you want I think). Another escalator and you're out. Then about a 10min walk to your hotel.

OR

2. Take a large taxi (with a TAXI sign on top, not from the guys who approach you, they aren't legit) or 2 from FCO directly to your hotel. Each taxi will cost around Euro45.

OR

3. Take the express train to Termini, then take a taxi(s) to your hotel, should be around Euro25 each.

I wouldn't attempt the Metro between 8am-10am and 4.30pm to 7pm with luggage. Plus there's the added bonus of pickpockets to deal with, so maybe once you're more familiar with Rome, ie not upon arrival and with luggage, you can take the Metro for the return to the hotel. Add up the cost of public transport vs taxis including ease of travel and work out what suits you best.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM

OR

4. check if the hotel offers an airport pickup service and take that instead.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM

Apart from avoiding the nightmare of coping with your group and luggage on public transport, options 2 and 4 above might well be cheaper.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM

I would not take the Metro from Termini with luggage, and I am fairly brave about doing that. There is a lot of construction in the Termini Metro station, and some of the lines are very deep underground.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:53 AM
ira

Hi Ala,

With 5 of you and luggage, I suggest a shuttle.

We used http://www.airportshuttle.it/ on our last visit.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:25 AM

I have always used airportshuttle in Rome and always was 100% satisfied with their service.
They had a good price and were always on time.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Is this your first visit to Rome? Because the location of your hotel is not central. I've been to Rome several times and never taken the subway. We just walk everywhere. You see so much as you walk. In a pinch, if you're tired you could hop on a bus.

The best area for first-timers is around the Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon/Spanish Steps. If you must pay a little more, well, you get more.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
With kids and luggage, you need to book a shuttle. It will be cheaper than train tickets to Termini for 5 people. Rome Shuttle Limousine is 50€ for five people with luggage.
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php

The airport shuttle mentioned above is 1€ cheaper for 5 people, but I believe it is a shared service so you may have other people in your van being dropped at other hotels.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Rome Shuttle Limousine is an excellent service, and well worth it when you arrive in Rome and are tired and confused.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Another vote for Rome Shuttle Limo....
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM

http://www.limoservicerome.com/

THis is the shuttle service most recommended on Fodor's. I forst got the name from Bookchick , a frequent Rome visitor and they have always been great.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM

As for the Marc Aurelio hotel, take a look at the Tripadvisor reviews. You may wish to look into an apartment in the Capo dei Fiori/Piazza Navona area. Much better located and may, in fact be less expensive.
If you need any help, just post here and I am sure someone will be happy to help.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

where do I begin to locate such an apt. for rent for 3-4 days in Rome? and for next Thursday??
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.rentalinrome.com/

https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-home/index.php

If you stay at the Marc Aurelio, you are not that far from the Cornelia metro stop which is a few stops from the Vatican stops, but I wouldn't want to subway with kids and luggage as it can be packed (and very hot). It's also the same line to the Spanish Steps or you can take to Termini and transfer for the Colosseum. You can also walk to Piazza Inerio where you should be able to catch a lot of buses (it's a very busy road). There is a large supermarket on Via Aurelia (sits back off the street sort of behind the public parking lot)across the street from the McD's at Piazza Inerio (Google the satellite version of Piazza Inerio, Rome and you will see the parking lot).
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM

I too vote for a cab or shuttle for getting into the city. It is a rare group who aren't tired and cranky after a long trip in an airplane!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Regarding an apartment, you could go to www.tripadvisor.com, put in your dates and look perhaps for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. Check the map for the apartment location.

You could use the same site to look for a closer hotel. Or www.venere.com.

It is pretty late to be changing your plans, especially if you're leaving on the 14th. In that case, it may be too late to cancel.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

thanks for much needed advice. I'm checking into shuttle service recommended.