Rome Metro with Luggage

Search

Rome Metro with Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Metro with Luggage

We are flying into Rome FCO and staying at a hotel near Termini, and just a few blocks from the Tuscolana Metro station. I am trying to decide if we should take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini, then a taxi to the hotel. OR Take the Metro from FCO to the Tuscolana station. Two questions I have. 1- Is there luggage storage on the Metro? can you be with your luggage? 2- How safe is the Metro compared to the Leonardo Express?
Any suggestions??
Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM

If your hotel is near termini, you might be able to walk it. Yet, I would take a taxi from the taxi rank...in other words don't let someone approach you offering "taxi" service.
I would avoid the metro...the platforms stairways etc. are a haven for pickpockets...you will see them...usually young teen girls in twos groups etc. but of course pickpockets can be seemingly well dressed gentlemenly types too...
Of course schelpin your luggage down into the metro, you would be a dead giveaway target for them.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Depends on how much luggage you have. I've used the metro with luggage, but I was traveling very light. Just a small shoulder bag and a 22" roller. I found the Metro very crowded, lots of stairs and didn't really see any luggage storage section. I think it would be best to take a taxi from the taxi stand outside Termini.

The Leonardo Express was much more comfortable compared to the Metro.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM

The Metro was no problem at all for us even with luggage (big trolley suitcases) after we got the trick: Avoid the cars in the middle of the Metro train, they will be overcrowded while the cars at the front and rear end are half empty.

There is no luggage storage, you keep everything by your side. The usual preventions against pickpockets apply, of course.

The wonderful invention of escalators has reached Rome, by the way.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, Tuscolana is both a train station and a metro station. You can train directly from the airport to the Tuscolana station. Departures every 15 minutes; journey of 38 minutes to Tuscolana.
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Search departure from Fiumicino Aeroporto and arrival at Roma Tuscolana.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Take the train from the airport as Jean said, but this is NOT the Leonardo Express. Here's the link from the airport. You want the train to Tiburtina and it's Tuscolana is one stop before Tiburtina. Click on Roma Tiburtina in this link and it will list all the stops.
http://www.adr.it/content.asp?Subc=1...&idMen=731
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:14 AM

I agree you should take the local (F1) train from the airport. It departs opposite the track for the Leonardo express.
We took it to the Trastevere train station last year rather than try to go to Termini and get public transit from there. It is fine, and cheaper than the express.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. If I take the regular train to the Tiburtina station, where do I buy the tickets when at the airport or can I purchase in advance on the Trenitalia website? If it's working properly
Since i will have 2 kids with me I want to get off the plane and get to the train with as little hassle as possible.
Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Purchase these tickets at the FCO train station (ticket window or machine) just before you board. You can't really purchase these local tickets ahead of time.

Personally, with one adult and two kids, I'd get a car service from FCO to your hotel . . .
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem- We will have 2 adults and 2 kids, so I will have help at the airport getting to the train, etc.
Just so I am clear. The local F1 train NOT the same as the Metro, correct? What are my luggage storage options no the F1?
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not the metro. It's a commuter train without amenities. You can catch the metro when you get to Tiburtina. There is no luggage storage on the metro and I would not leave my luggage unattended on the F1 if a storage area exists.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Instead of the amenities-free commuter train, why not use a car service. For about 40E, someone will meet you at the airport and deposit you at your hotel. Four train fares plus a taxi could cost nearly as much (even more if you use the Leonardo Express).
One company that gets consistently good reports here is

www.romeshuttlelimousine.com

Search this forum using Rome airport and limo as your terms and you'll find other recommendations.

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM

The last time I was in Rome, my mother and I took the Leonardo Express to Termini, then the subway to Piazza Barberini and finally we walked with our luggage to the convent where we were staying near Piazza Spagna. We both felt safe and had no problem doing it.

Old May 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM

I agree with kyd!
Leonardo Express is 11 euros pp., for 4 people it is already as expensive as a door to door car. The other (local) train is slower and about 5.5 euros pp. you have to buy tickets again for the Metro, or take a cab to your destionation, you will be spending close to what Rome shuttle would charge. You may save 10 euros !

As other mentioned, it is not a Metro tha t runs from the airport - you have to change trains and pay for the Metro.
We used /www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/;
for 2 people it was 40 euros ( on the way back from Rome - only 35)
It was worth it!
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM

If you do elect to take the F1, note that you'd don't have to stand in line at the main ticket office. Look to the left of that office and you'll see a smaller, less impressive-looking ticket window. Buy it there and save yourself the wait.

Another tip along the same lines: if you're doing short trips by rail in Italy, note that you can typically buy your ticket at the tobacconist/bar at the train station and skip the line up at the FS window (which is all too frequently staffed by a cretin).
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM

We also took Romeshuttlelimousine roundtrip from FCO to our apartment by the Campo. Cost: 35E each way for two people. Our driver met us at the airport and we had a Mercedes all to ourselves. For the return trip, he was there waiting for us 30 minutes early (same, very nice driver), and we had the same Mercedes all to ourselves for the ride back to FCO.

Just something to consider.

Enjoy your trip!