Carrying luggage on subway or bus to hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into dca, and my husband and I will have a suitcase and carry-on (each of us). Is it feasible to lug these on the subway or bus and use this mode of transportation to get to our hotel? We're staying at the Westin Embassy Row at Dupont Circle...I logged the route on the dc transportation page and the route looked quick and cheap. I thought if this wasn't too much of a pain, the subway or bus would be the best way to go..Any suggestions?
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 04:10 PM

I think you will be fine. The subway connection from DCA is the closest, most convenient in the country. You will have to change trains once, either at Metro Center or Gallery Place.

My only caveat would be that there will be less room at rush hour. I take the bus and Metro all the time to get to and from DCA (although I take the subway every day to work). There isn't any luggage storage on the subway, but if you can get a reasonable seat, you should be fine.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Are you able to handle that luggage walking 1-2 blocks? That's about how far the Westin is from the stop. If so, I think you can do it as long as you aren't going to try it during rush hour. It's too crowded then and hard to get on yourself, sometimes.

I wouldn't try that on a bus.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 09:05 PM

I've brought luggage on the metro many, many times. It's quite easy; one wheels the luggage across an overhead bridge from the terminal that enters the National Airport (Reagan) metro. There are elevators in every metro station that one can use, if one does not wish to manoeuver one's luggage up an escalator.

You can take the blue line from National Airport to Metro Center, then switch there to the red line to Dupont Circle.

Rush hour would be more challenging to find a place on the subway with one's luggage. All in all though, I've never had any trouble.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Like everyone here says - it all depends on when you arrive. Mon-Fri from 7:00 am to 9:00 and 4:00 pm to 6:30pm avoid the subway if you have more than an overight bag.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 03:01 PM

I also suggest you avoid traveling from the airport at peak MORNING time, but if it is peak AFTERNOON travel time, you might do OK to take Blue line to Foggy Bottom, the closest "non-Red" line to Dupont Circle, and get a cab from there. (In the afternoon, most passengers are traveling OUT of DC, so Inbound trains aren't as packed) There are elevator outages, and you could check www.wmata.com for announcements, or ask the attendent at DCA about the status of other stations you will be using.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 10:20 PM

My first trip on subway with luggage (from DCA to Union station)was very casual. That was on a Saturday about 2pm. The return (from Union station to DCA) was a nightmare (stressful) Once I got on the packed shoulder to shoulder car I thought I was not going to be able to get off. It was very tight. The other passengers had to squeeze by me to get off at their stops. This was on a Friday at 2pm. I know now to spend the $10.00 for a cab on a weekday I did continue to use the Metro for the rest of the weekend and it was fine.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We arrive on a Saturday afternoon, but we depart on a Wednesday. Approximately how much would a cab fare run from Dupont Circle to DCA? Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM

about $10
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Check with your hotel maybe they have a airport shuttle. Have a great trip.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 12:09 PM

I was riding the Metro last week during a trip to DC, saw lots of people with luggage. But no way would I try it during rush hour. I took a cab from Arlington to Union Station to avoid the morning rush hour madness with my luggage.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM
bluestructure

Everyone drags their luggage, groceries, or anything else on the subway. I say go for it! Make sure the hotel is close to dupont metro stop if your luggage is heavy.