Provence shopping help needed

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence shopping help needed

I hope this posts correctly, as I have been having trouble with it all morning. I'll try it again... As the screen name implies, I am a lucky expat. My time here in Paris will come to an end in the summer. I am not a shopping guru! Many of the treasures I have been looking for I have not found. I have been looking in the wrong places. I will be travelling to Provence in April and am unsure of which small towns to base myself in for the most success. I am looking for paintings of lavender fields, olive trees, and vinyards as well as bakers racks (hutches), small accent tables and provencal tiles. I know this is a tall order, but Fodorites seem to be experts in the area! Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:17 AM

For paintings, you'll find those sorts of subjects just about all over - but St. Remy, Roussillon and Gordes are good places to look (though not necessarily for any bargains).

For tiles, there is the famed village of Salernes in the Var - and my personal favorites the Carreau d'Apt at Chez Vernin in the Luberon.

Can't really help you with the bakers rack - not exactly sure I know what you mean.

Anyway, happy shopping...

-Kevin
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:04 AM

Go to the week-end flea market in Isle sur le Sorgue for all you want. Be prepared for sticker shock for any furniture. And I take it you will be coming back to the US. Shipping back to the US will be expensive. But it's fun to look.
Arles has a good market the first Wednesday of the month. Other than the large markets try to find a listing of brocantes in the area you will be.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

Everything you have mentioned is available at all the places people have posted here, plus in Arles and Uzès and Les Baux and Maussane. In fact, I can't think of many towns in the entire Bouche-du-Rhône where those kinds of things wouldn't really be all over.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:02 AM

Lourmarin is a village with an number of artists' shops and galleries.

Anselm
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

As Kevin mentioned, Salernes is a "tile town". It also has a very nice Sunday market. The road between the Cavaillon freeway exit and St Remy has lots of Antique shops - and, of course, so does l'Isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday. If you're travelling in that area, stay at Kevin's B&B in the beautiful Luberon Valley and he can perhaps help you even more.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the much needed help!!! StuDudley, please tell me m ore about Kevin's B&B! Where is it specifically and what price range? You are all very helpful! Luckyexpat
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry! I just did a search for Kevin's B&B and realized he has very helpfully replied on this thread. I found the website and will check it out asap! Thanks again all! luckyexpat
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM

Kevin's place is in St Saturnin les Apt - in the Luberon. Here is his web site.

http://masperreal.com/index.html

You can e-mail him from the site or just ckick on his e-mail on the post below your original post. The place is lovely - surrounded by vineyards.

Stu Dudley