Gate 1 Affordable Turkey--Need Advice

Oct 17th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Gate 1 Affordable Turkey--Need Advice

Going in Nov on Gate 1 Affordable Turkey. Seems like it will be a very large group. much of the sightseeing are "optional" excursions with extra charges. Want to see these sights, but wonder if alternatives of doing it on my own or hiring (maybe with another couple) a private guide for the day/half day would be better and maybe even less expensive. Am a history/archeology buff and want to avoid excursions where a disproportionate portion of the time is spent in large tourist shops/emporiums.

Has anyone done this tour and would appreciate advice and recommendations--including what "optional' excursions/meals/etc. are highly recommended or are just "so-so". We are fairly experienced travelers so not really uncomfortable in breaking out from group--if worthwhile.

Thank you
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:18 AM

In Turkey you can do anything you want on your own or there are many local travel agents who you can just walk up to and arrange a trip. I would not arrange anything through the tour company. We had a private guide for a day in Istanbul, although other days we did it by ourselves. We enjoyed being able to get around to a few areas that might have been trickier to do on our own. An it was fun to have a local that we could talk about contemporary and historical issues. Her name was Anna. It was about $100 for the day plus our taxi fares between different parts of the city. I will look up my posts and see if I can find her info, but she was recommended here on fodors.com and we used her in 2003.
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Here is her info copied from another post of mine.

Author: laurie_ann
Date: 07/17/2003, 05:47 pm
My husband and I were in Turkey in June. We used Ilknur Karaagac for a day's guide. The cost was US $100. We usually travel on our own, but including her was really worthwhile. See her website www.tourinturkey.com.

I said her name is Anna because that is what she asks English speaking tourists to call her as her Turkish name is hard to pronounce.

Enjoy planning your trip!

Oct 17th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Yeah I also don't think you need a travel agent in Turkey. I have never known a Turkey that was anything but affordable.
Nov 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM
pvd

ladybegood....please e mail me when you return from your trip...i too am going to Turkey with Gate 1 in March/April 2006....pls. give me info on what their tours were like or did you make other arrangements. I have been trying to get info on Gate 1 using these kind of sites, but no replies as of yet...so pls. e mail me upon your return for all the low-down...suggestions for restaraunts, sites, shopping deals, etc...we're gonna stay an extra 3 days in Istanbul after the trip too...thanks so much and HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
Nov 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Have a wonderful time in Turkey. Its almost impossible not to. When we went, we did it on our own as far as all arrangements, but I did use Gate 1 for overnight trips to Cappadocia and Ephesus. It was very reasonable and we lucked out, because although it wasn't booked as private (for either tour) no one else was on it but my hubby and me! I think the best reason to use a tour like Gate 1 is, you can never find airfare as cheap as what they will charge you. If we hadn't had ff miles, we certainly would have bought atleast a air and hotel package.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
pvd

did you go on Gate 1 in Nov.? pls. let me know re: Gate 1 and what u did as far as tours, etc. going in March ...how big was the tour....appar. ours is up to three buses, due to the solar eclipse. anyone else go w/Gate 1 on any trips?
Also planning (far ahead) for Dec. to Amsterdam and Hague....any suggestions or recommendations esp. during that time of yr? Looking at a boatel...hope not toooooo damp or cold!
thanks for any and all help!