Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provence/Riviera OR Portugal in December?

May 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

This is very early planning, but I'm trying to get a better idea as to which country and cities would be better to visit during Christmas to New Years regarding weather, open sites, etc. It would be about 10-12 days. Hub and I have been taking two major european vacays per year (summer and winter). This time period is an open window for us, which is why we couldn't go in a more ideal time like spring (and we don't want to go there in summer!)

So it would come down to Provence/French Riviera OR Portugal (Lisbon to Porto).

I would rather go to France, because it seems there's more to see there. We love art, history, food, walking around cutesy streets. Any thoughts?? Thank you!!
May 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM

Well why don't you google for the weather averages in each in December for a start. But beyond any little difference in weather, it really depends on what your interests are and where specifically you would go in either area.

Why would it 'come down to' those two? For example, if weather is your primary criteria, then why not the Canary Islands which would have better weather?

If weather is not the primary criteria and 'art, history, food,walking around' is, then why not Venice or some other city where season has little affect on tourist infrastructure. Rome is busy all 12 months of the year for example.

You really aren't providing any real criteria on which anyone could say one place would be a better fit for you than another. The only thing they could say is they just happen to like one better than the other but chances are they haven't even been there in December.

If you want to go to France, I'll give you a suggestion. But all it is, is simply a place that I would expect would be a nice place to spend a week or two in during December. I've only been there in the summer but I've just got a feeling that it would be a very worthwhile place to see and experience 'real life' France around Xmas and to h*ll with the weather.
http://www.tourisme-langres.com/fic_...isiteur_GB.pdf
May 7th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

It seems the weather is comparable in both areas I've indicated, and they are mild in climate.

Regarding my love of art, history, and food, I suppose what I'm really asking is which is preferable to the Fodors community in that respect?

To those who have visited both places, which would you recommend? (again regarding art, history, food).
May 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM

They are simply too big in area pempem to answer that question.

Both have art, history and food. At the most I might say equal but different. You haven't given any criteria to suggest which would better fit YOUR interests.

If you get 5 people saying they prefer Portugal and 5 saying they prefer France, where does that leave you? You are not going to get 9 saying they prefer A and only 1 saying they prefer B.

You still haven't explained why it 'comes down to'. Does that just mean you have decided to pick one or the other? If so, that's fine, just say so.

If both appeal equally, why not just flip a coin. It's as good a way as any to decide when you have no real way of determining your preference. Which some strangers prefer really isn't going to tell you anything.
May 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Did not mean to offend, truly.
May 7th, 2014, 11:39 AM

I've been to both several times and I would choose Portugal.
May 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm leaning towards Portugal as well. I've been to France several times, so it would be interesting to visit a new country.