Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which places in Europe has the best weather in late autumn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have planned to go to Norway, Sweden and Finland in late November with my 60 years old mom (from Asia), however, I am afraid the weather is a bit challenging for her and she can not walk for too long as she has AVN hip problem.

Are there any places in Europe with nice autumn weather and easy traffic?

We will be in London during the time, therefore, I am looking for somewhere close.

Thinking about Prague, Austria, Greece, Barcelona, France, Belgium, Brussels...Oh dear I am not sure where to start with

Thank you!
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:40 PM

The father South you go, the milder the weather gets.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:53 AM

I would think southern Spain or Portugal. The places you've mentioned don't have great weather in November.

Not sure what you mean by easy traffic. Will you be in cities or the countryside?
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 01:45 AM

You didn't ask, but also look into visa requirements for your mom, if she has an Asian passport.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 03:44 AM

Out of the mentioned places you should choose Barcelona or Greece for having a nice autumn weather. It's like sparkchaser said - the farther south you go, the milder the weather gets. Another good places for having a nice autom weather could be Portugal, the Cote d'Azur in France, Italian Riviera or Turkey.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 03:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we went to Granada [southern spain] in November - it was mostly warm and sunny in the day but cool at night with a bit of rain.

it would be a lovely time to tour Andalucia or Portugal.

other places that are very well adapted to "older" people because they have so many in the winter months are Cyprus and Malta - Malta in particular might offer what you are looking for and if it matters, most people speak very good english.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 04:17 AM

Malta is a good idea as it's mostly flat and has a good bus system so there is no need to rent a car. Valletta would be a good choice for lodging since it's the hub for buses and there are quite a few things to see and easy access to restaurants.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 04:30 AM

The weather in southern Spain and in Italy would be best at that time of the year. It will be quite cold in Scandinavia and the days very short.

Do you plan to drive? We found Andalucia very easy to navigate and the roads were good - not heavy traffic when we were there in late September.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Southern Spain can also be quite rainy in Fall though but you might be lucky. It will certainly be a lot milder and lighter than Scandinavia, that's for sure.
Granada is beautiful but quite hilly. Seville on the other hand is practically flat and therefore much easier to navigate when you have problems walking. RENFE, the Spanish railroad system has an unbelievably comfortable service between Seville and Cordoba so you will definitely not need a car.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 09:53 AM

The best weather in late autumn in Europe? Southern Portugal, the Balearic Islands, the Greek Islands, Sardinia, Corsica and Sicilia (Sicily). I'd add the Canary Islands but they are a bit of a hike from continental Europe.

Friends where in Malta in late fall a few years back and it snowed, so go prepared. Who knows what the change in the seasons will bring.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:32 AM

Whenever a question like yours is asked, people trot out a list of destinations where they think the weather will be warmest, without a thought to what you will do when you get there. What does your mother enjoy doing? It may be that the best destination is somewhere that has good public transport (less walking) and lots of things to do indoors. That could be a northern city like Paris.

If you want a destination with a good chance of warm weather and sunshine, then obviously southern Europe would be best. I wouldn't go to the Greek Islands in late October, though. Somewhere on the mainland, be it Greece, Italy, or Spain, would be best.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM

Late Nov. is winter---a cold and rainy time in much of Europe.
I would do a major city---Paris, Rome, Prague, Barcelona.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM

I hate to break it to you, but 21 Dec is the first day of winter, the winter solstice, and it can be quite nice in many parts of southern Europe. Two years ago in Lisbon it was in the mid-80s in early November, well above the monthly average in the mid-60s. A quirk on nature or the new reality of changing weather patterns?

In December the average temperature in Lisbon drops a few degrees, but not much. Yes it rains, but it's hardly cold. The averages are about the same for Sevilla in November, with fewer days of rain. Even Barcelona is typically mild in November, but too chilly for the beach unless you're from Michigan or Maine. We've been on the Costa Brava in early Jan, waking up to 60 degree weather, clear blue skies and not a drop of rain for a week.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Greece ofcourse. It is next to Asia and Africa, it is completely logic to have the best weather in Europe.

The city of Nauplion has a gorgeous old town, crowned with a venetian castle. I think a 60 year old would have a great time in that city. it's on the sea, it has nice shops, charming Architecture, good food, many attractions, and it is not far from Athens. You will also be able to do a day trip in Monemvasia or Spetses. I am sure you and your Mom will love that place. Cheers
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Robert 2353 said;

>I hate to break it to you, but 21 Dec is the first day of winter, the winter solstice

I don't think you hated taking that kind of schoolyard "shot" at all Robert. Perhaps you meant to say "I would like to be facetious..."

>Two years ago in Lisbon it was in the mid-80s in early November, well above the monthly average in the mid-60s. A quirk on nature or the new reality of changing weather patterns?

Yes, I think that an elevation in temperature of approximately 20 degrees from the average, during one particular period in which you traveled, is probably evidence of the new reality of weather patterns. I didn't hate to tell you that, I'm being facetious, too.