South of France weather?

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South of France weather?

Hi fellow travellers! My significant other and I are thinking of going to the South of France (wine region and Provence) at the end of November. How is the weather there during that time of year? Does it rain often? We've read conflicting reports and so am hoping to hear from someone who has been there (or lives there) during that time of year. Thanks! -Cheryl
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM

The weather can be absolutely delightful and I would take the risk but don't be a fool and think there are any guarantees. You will always hear conflicting weather reports for the month of November. Just pack a good umbrella. Chances are you'll get lucky.

My first trip to Tuscany lasted 14 days and every day it rained. Yes, I was sick of being wet but boy did I have a great time.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Using statistics to predict the weather anywhere in France is rather risky, but in Provence you can generally have more faith in historical weather than in many other locations. November is statistically one of the most rainy months, and the rain is generally more of a drizzle than a downpour. Temperatures in Provence will top out around 70F in the daytime, and nights will drop to about 55F. But I have been there when the wicked Mistral came whistling down the Rhone valley, making life miserable even when the temperatures were not so cold. Then again I've seen it clear and cool with brilliant skies that had that certain inexplicable glow that artists always try to capture.

For my money, any time spent in Provence, especially away from the larger cities and preferably in the small villages no one ever heard of, is time well and peacefully spent. Good luck.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The mistral can hit. Bring a sweater for evenings.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:41 PM

If you have any kind of allergy or sinus problems be prepared and bring your remedies with you. The Mistral can be pretty awful when it blow, everything is up in the air, dirt, leaves and the wind can be pretty strong.
Enjoy La Provence, just be prepared...
Bon Voyage,
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:55 PM
AR

I was in Montpellier (Languedoc region - not too far from Provence) during the last week of November, last year. Generally, the weather was warm but when it rained, it rained hard.
The weather earlier this week in Montpellier was unbelievable. Sunday was fine and hot whilst Monday saw monsoon conditions and Montpellier was flooded with cars being swept away. I have never seen rain like it in Europe. Then on Tuesday we were back to hot and sunny.
I agree with other postings. Assume it may be warmish and assume it may be windy and rainy!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Hi

It is changeable !

You can check weather history here :
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...historical.htm

AR

I was also in Montpellier (and Lunel on Monday). Nothing compared to last years rain in Anduze which caused serious flooding, damage & deaths ( http://tlp.netfirms.com/newphoto40.htm ) but pretty bad ?
You may be interested in this site : http://tlp.netfirms.com

Peter
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for replying to my post!