Provence Markets

Jun 17th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Ali

Provence Markets

Can someone please post a comprehensive list of markets in Provence? I'd also like to know if the merchandise differs between markets or whether it's pretty much the same.

Jun 17th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Julie

Patricia Wells in her book Food Lover's Guide to France includes a list of market days for each area of France, including Provence. The information is also available in even greater depth in a book entitled Markets of Provence, a Culinary Tour of Southern France. You can check them out at your library or your local book store.

Jun 17th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Julie

Oh and to answer your other question, the merchandise often appears the same because the same merchants move from market to market. An olive merchant may, for instance, be in St. Remy on Tuesday, Aix en Provence on Wednesday and L'Isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday, etc.

Jun 17th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Ali

Julie, thank you for the response but that book you mentioned was published back in 1996. Do you really think the information is still accurate?

Also, do these markets focus only on food? I was hoping for other provencial merchandise like kitchenware, tablecloths, decorations, etc.

Jun 17th, 2002, 02:58 PM
PB

Ali,

A short list for the area I live in...

Tuesday - Tarascon
Wednesday - St. Remy (really big market)
Thursday - Maussane-les-Alpilles
Friday - St. Martin de Crau
Saturday - Arles (huge market)
Avignon
St. Remy
Sunday - Salon de Provence
l'Isle sur la Sorgue
(antiques as well as everything else)

Beginning around Easter almost all of the markets will have everything in the way of fabrics, tablecloths, souvenirs, etc. Smaller in the winter months, most markets will have at least a few stalls selling fabrics, etc.
PB

Jun 17th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Lynn

In Spring, 2000, I spent a couple of weeks in Provence and went to a number of markets (I had to buy to more suitcases to get everything home). It was such fun! My home decor is Provence-inspired, so I wanted to buy linens, etc. for my home. I found that the better-quality tableclothes, bedspreads, etc. were not available at the markets, but were in shops in the towns. However, I did buy some linens and lace (for curtains) at various markets and found the best selection at the Arles market - which was huge and had a great selection.

Jun 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM
John Burkus

For market days in the Vaucluse:
http://www.provence-des-papes.com/magazine/marchesa.htm

For other neat stuff about Provence:
[email protected]

John B.

Jun 17th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Ali

Thanks for all the replies. Now does anyone know if the markets will still be on the large size in the Sept/Oct time frame? When you say a "larger market"..can you give me an idea of how much time most people (ie; tourists) would spend? Is this an all day event or just an hour or two?

Can you tell it's my first time?

Jun 17th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Julie

I'm a very big market goer but would find it very hard to spend an entire day at one. In fact, I believe most of them only operate from early (8 a.m. or so) morning until a little after lunch. Size varies from a couple of blocks or a few stalls usually in the central square in small towns to 8-10 blocks or more in larger towns. One of the larger ones I recall was in Cavaillon, where both sides of a long street had stalls as did another street around the corner and into the main square. In Nice, there are two or three aisles of covered stalls with an emphasis in one area on flowers. I believe they are open daily as are the markets in Aix and Arles. I do not think market days in towns change from year to year but rather remain constant over time such that the information in the Patricia Wells book can still be relied upon. The other book I referenced was published in 1996 and contains a wealth of information and some very beautiful pictures.

Jun 17th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Julie

I forgot to say that I have been to many markets in Sept. and Oct. and found some very large with lots of offerings. Haven't been to markets at peak of summer season so they may be huge at that time, but there's plenty to interest you in Sept. and at least early to mid-October. While I could always spend more time at markets than my husband is willing to stay for, I do find that I can see most of even a large market within an hour or so. If you're an antique collector, you may want to spend more time. I enjoy seeing the local color, learning the local names for the produce, meat and fish, and shopping for a few souvenirs. I'm especially fond of the French paring knives and some of their kitchen gadgets. The paring knives I always use. The gadgets I keep thinking I'll use and never do. Markets are one of my favorite things about Europe. I hope you enjoy them too.

Jun 17th, 2002, 06:21 PM
John Burkus

I agree that market days are for the most part mornings. Here is yet another site that lists days and towns/villages:

http://www.housesforhire.com/html/Ar...#Market%20Days

Jun 17th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Bob

Go to <viafrance.com> and search under Markets and Fairs. You will find further information there.

Jun 18th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Ali

Can someone just give me some general information on the Isle Sur La Sorgue antique market on Sundays? Is this one an all day event or is this like the others 8am-noonish? Are all the dealers reputable? If not can someone tell me which ones to avoid? Will they ship items to the US?

Jun 18th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Coco

Ali,

I recently saw the book, "Markets of Provence" at our local Barnes & Noble bookstore. Since I am a lover of Provence, have surrounded myself in all books about Provence. The book also features many photographs, some recipes. If you are into antique buying, would recommend the Sunday market in L'Isle sur La Sorgue. Don't forget to see the Saturday market in Apt. Eat at the outdoor restaurant, order truffles and eggs, a specialty of the region.
Enjoy...Coco

Jun 18th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Bob C

This web-site lists a lot of the markets. http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/n...me/marches.htm