Best Markets in Provence

Mar 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Best Markets in Provence

We enjoy our travel in France, being able to be at the town market every monring.\

We will be in Provence from May 12 thru May 20. Can you recommend any particular markets?
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM

where in provence will you be?

i wholeheartedly recommend the carpentras market. it is huge!
Mar 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Tops for tourists:
- l'Isle Sur la Sorgue on Sunday. Speciality is antiques - "serious/expensive" stuff in permanent shops, and good flea market items on edge of farmer's market. My wife purcchased some enamelware there. Don't expect any bargains. Dood food market, and lots of crafts, provence fabric, soap, etc. Gets too crowded for me by 11:00

- Carpentras - Friday. Great food vendors - best I've found in Provence. Also excellent Provence fabric.

- Apt - Sat. Excellent fabric & other crafts, but not as good food items as other markets.

- Aix en Provence. Tues, Thurs, Sat Excellent food around the churc, and good fabric, etc on the Cours. There is another daily market in the main square in front of the Mairie

- Uzes Sat (smaller one Wed). Very colorful market.

Smaller ones I like:

- Bedoin on Monday
- Gordes on Tuesday
- St Remy on Wed - a little too touristy for me, and it detracts from the enjoyment of the village, IMO.
- Arles (forgot the day)

There are lots of others

Stu Dudley
Mar 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM

The Saturday morning one in Uzes at the edge of Provence is wonderful for food and pottery. It spills over from the Place des Herbs to the surrounding streets.
in Nice, cours salaya in Aix for the flower and food market
But since you won't be there til May, buy the book ,
MARKETS OF PROVENCE, with a foreward by Patricia Wells.
Not only will you learn about the markets but the book includes recipes and what foods are fresh in season.
Mar 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM

In addition to those suggested already (and we went to several of them), we also enjoyed the market in Lourmarin (Friday) - Provence fabrics, Lagouile knives, ceramics, great food vendors, etc. Lourmarin also has a fascinating chateau that's worth an hour or so.
Mar 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Coustellet (Sun)- a true farmer's market. Local growers selling their stuff straight out of the back of the truck. Best quality and best prices. Becoming more and more touristy in recent years, but the heart of the market remains the same.

Apt - the best all around market. It's huge, so you really need the time to take it all in. Lots of treats hidden in little side streets and tiny squares.

Saint Saturnin-Lès-Apt - can't believe you guys left this one out ! Small - you can see the whole thing in 10 minutes - but with all the essentials. Local wine-makers and goat cheese producers, best fish truck around, best bakery in the Luberon, no hassles with parking - what more could you want...

-Kevin
Mar 19th, 2009, 03:46 AM

What part of Provence are you staying in? This may help with some advice and planning.

Joan
Mar 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

So far the only defined part of our trip is training to Avignon, picking up our car, then spending first night in St. Remy (to see market on Wednesday). We also plan to be in Apt on the Saturday for their market. We've been thinking about Loumarin or Carpentras for Friday? Can anyone comment on the markets in Forcalquier and Vacqueyras?
Mar 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM

The Forcalquir market is nice - not as large as Carpentras, Apt, or l'Isle Sur la Sorgue - but less touristy.

Be careful about tryng to visit too many markets. I think if you hit St Remy, Carpentras, and Apt - that's 3 large markets in 4 days - you'll get your fill (and then some). All those markets are quite crowded too. Part of the Apt market runs down some very narrow streets (actually, almost alleyways).

Stu Dudley
Mar 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM

The Thursday market in Maussane is just right for me.

The Arles market is Saturday - huge.

After a while you see the same faces at all the markets. I agree they're fun, but one after another gets old pretty quickly.
Mar 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM

I have to agree with Stu and StCirq..you get marketed out!!

I will probably go into St. Remy on Wed. for a short time when in Les Baux for my 3 night jaunt to Les Baux..I kind of feel like, been there done that!
Nov 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM

"The better markets - those featuring genuine producers - were generally the least well advertised. They were a ritual for locals, not a show for tourists."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cuis...104-28rpu.html
Nov 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM

I was impressed with the market in Bedouin...quite large.