Provence Home Base Suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a home base suggestion. We're exploring Provence the first week in June, for 4 days. We'll have a car, so day trips and small trips are feasible.

We're not sure where to stay as a home base? People have suggested Aix, Avignon, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, we're up for anything.

We're looking a hotel in a town that has the culture, great food, fun shops and is picturesque.

Any advice would be appreciated! We have a 1 year old, so we're thinking a home base will be better for her, than changing hotels each night.

Thanks in advance!
Jenny
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 09:57 AM

We loved our stay in Bonnieux, good choice of restaurants, nice market. What sites do you want to see, Bonnieux is in the Luberon.

Here are our photos of the area, first week of July 2015.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...57655199440738

Happy planning!
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Be sure to consider where you'll put your car. If in a town like Avignon, you may want to be on the edge or at an accommodation that offers parking, free or otherwise. Smaller towns will likely be more convenient in that regard.

While not actually in Provence, Uzes is just to the west and not far from Avignon & the Pont du Gard. I stayed a while and, while I didn't have a car, it appeared not to be a problem parking. You should be able to find places to stay with parking and, as it's compact, still walking distance to the beautiful center of town.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Aix is too far away from the sites most people want to visit while in Provence.

Avignon is centrally located - but it is a large city with lots of ugly urban sprawl north, south, and east - which you'll have to drive through to & from your day trips. Not the "image" of Provence you'll want to remember.

l'Isle sur la Sorgue can get a little touristy - especially on market day (Sunday), but it is well located and has plenty of restaurants. One of our favorites in Provence is there - Le Vivier.

Many people like St Remy. It's centrally located, has many cafes & restaurants, shops, easy access - and lots of English spoken (this may either be a plus or a minus for you).

Our favorite regions are the Luberon (see jamikins above), and just south of Mt Ventoux near Bedoin. These two areas are out in the countryside with lots of vineyards and lavender fields.

If you want to stay in a village with many restaurants & shops - stay in St Remy or Uzes. If you want to be in the countryside - Luberon or Bedoin area.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:07 AM

I stayed in Uzes with a car, my hotel had a garage, I just didn't use it when there in town. I probably went out for a drive somewhwere one day.

I don't know that anyone is going to say anything more than you've already been told, people will make various suggestions and you already have some. YOu have to decide if you want a city or a village. Avignon and Aix are cities and thus have more sites, shops, restaurants, etc. Bonnieux is a very very small village and I personally would never want to stay there for that reason and parking isn't easy in town, either (or even possible right in the center). Never thought of it as having lots of restaurants as it is so small, nor fun shops. It doesn't sound like what you want, but that's your call. All the other places you name are a lot bigger. Bonnieux doesn't even have hardly any hotels, anyway. I thought they only had one and it's pretty basic. I almost stayed there once, you can't even park at the hotel as it is in the center of town where that isn't allowed. Parking is down a hill and a bit of a hike.

I admit I'm not crazy about Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, and don't think it has many good restaurants. But maybe it will have great food by your definition. Aix is a nice city but isn't that central for what you want to do, seems like. Both Aix and Avignon will be more trouble with a car, although you can be on the outskirts. But they'll have more hotel choices, for sure. If you want lots of shops, Aix might be good for you.It is certainly picturesque.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:26 AM

On booking.com there are 20 properties you can stay in Bonnieux and around. We ate out almost every night for a week and only repeated once. We stayed just on the outskirts and had no issues with parking, but could see it being an issue if you stay directly in centre.

Depends what you want.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:59 AM

>>L'Isle sur la Sorgue... don't think it has many good restaurants<<<

It has "plenty" of restaurants - many "tourist" places with outside tables along the canal - with "simple" menus. There are 6 "good" restaurants listed in the current Michelin Red guide. Le Vivier (on the road to Carpentras - out of the center of town) is excellent - Michelin one star and not very expensive for a one star. Very popular. There is also a Michelin "bib gourmand" restaurant among the 6.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
jamikins are those sunset photos from Les Terrasses du Luberon...thanks again fo the tip...looking forward to September.

Old Apr 14th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Hi Maitai....the one of the sun setting is...the one with the lamppost is from town centre

So jealous!
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
StRemy is my choice for a first timer Near to the Camargue and the Luberon.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the suggestions VERY helpful!

Jenny
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Jenny, I've stayed in La Sorge and just outside (Lagnes)

My favorite restaurant, lovely inside and out, is Jardin du Quai,
situated by the railroad station.
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 04:00 AM

You've been given many great suggestions of possible places to base for your time in Provence. You could stay in a small city like Aix or Avignon; a town like Uzes, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue or St. Remy; a village like Bonnieux; or in the countryside. Each offers something different, depending on what you're looking for. And as you've seen in the comments above, everyone has their preferences and we tend to be strong advocates for places we've enjoyed.

Our family has been spending several months a year in Provence for almost 15 years. We live part-time in the village of Bonnieux, and I have to offer another perspective to Christina's comments. It's a perched village, tumbling down a hillside, in a great location in the Luberon valley. The views are truly spectacular, as you've seen in the photos.

Yes, it's a small village with just 1400 residents. But there are at least 10 restaurants and cafes (one Michelin 2* and two other noted restaurants), several artist galleries, a variety of other specialty shops, two boulangeries, a little grocery store, and a butcher shop. The weekly market is on Friday. The village doesn't draw tour buses and there aren't any "tourist" shops selling Provence knick-knacks. You can buy postcards at the village presse (newspaper shop).

There's an excellent hotel in the lower part of the village, Le Clos du Buis, with 8 rooms. This hotel has outstanding reviews and has a guest kitchen and a beautiful garden with a pool-- and parking. There's one other small hotel at the top of the village and many chambre d'hotes (B&Bs) on the outskirts and surrounding countryside, as well as many options for rentals.

Since it's a hilltop village, the larger parking lots are at the bottom of the village-- and they are free. There are also two lots at the top of the village.

Even if you don't stay in our very special village, I hope you'll visit.

Kathy