Pros and cons on Murano vs. Venice-help?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Fran

Pros and cons on Murano vs. Venice-help?

I am considering a hotel on Murano as it seems nice and is 88EU/nite for a double with wc, air conditioning and breakfast. I know that Murano is nothing compared to Venice and I would only intend to stay nights there. This is cheaper than anything comparable in Venice and if you get a 3 day Vaporetto pass that'll get you back and forth right? Also, a guide book I have indicated that "the Alilaguna hydrofoil from the airport to Murano costs 4.65 EU". Is that true? If so, that's a pretty cheap transfer. I placed a previous post considering a hotel in the vicintiy of Santa Lucia station and that hotel is 110 EU/night. Apparently, there is some festival going on when I'll be in Venice and all of the inland hotels I've investigated are booked for a Friday night. Please help me make a choice.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:33 AM
elvira

You will have to weigh the cost vs advantages: Venice is at its best late at night and early in the morning. By staying on Murano, you'll miss most of that. Vaporetti run frequently between Murano and Venice. The hydrofoil must be something new; the water bus between the airport and Murano or Venice is a big lumbering boat. Costs about 5euro.<BR><BR>There are late night water buses from the north edge of Venice to Murano, so you can stay in Venice well into the evening and still get to Murano without a water taxi. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Dale

I think your Murano deal sounds pretty good. I would attempt to find out the latest vaporetto to Murano, however. The Aliliguno boats are about $10 from the airport to San Marco, so I assume your price is accurate.