Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of hotel locations in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying (like so many of you) to figure out which hotel to stay in for our upcoming trip to Rome in June. It will be our first time there, staying for 5 nights. It will be my husband and me, we are early 50's and like a little more luxury as we get older! I am looking at spending around $350 to $400 per night. We don't want a lot of traffic or loud noise outside our windows. Would like some nice restaurants close by. Will probably take taxis to get to the sites that are not closeby.

Therefore, (long intro!) I would love it people would list the pros and cons of the following city sections so I can zero in which are the best ones for us.

Spanish Steps - is this area attractive because it is pretty and for shopping? Why?

Via Veneto - seems like many upscale hotels here - is it a noisy area?

Navona/Pantheon - it seems like this area is highly recommended. Is it quiet at night? Are there lots of good restaurant options?

Colosseum/Forum

Any comments on the pros and cons of these areas would be appreciated!

Ginny
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Spanish Steps and Via Veneto are very nice, upsacle areas. The major designers all have boutiques near the Spanish Steps (think Beverly Hills) . We usually stay on Via Veneto, but it's not as convenient to major sights and our favorite restaurants as ...
the Navona/Pantheon area- a more central location. yes there are lots of good restaurant options. I would recommend staying in this area.

by the way, Rome is noisy every where.

Colosseum/Forum -- i don't know about hotels in this area.

happy planning!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:31 PM

I agree with Dina. I just wanted to add that the Via Veneto area was the "in" spot about 20 years ago, Spanish Steps was "in" about 10 years ago, and the new "in" is the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. Since you are budgeting quite a nice sum for your hotel stay, there are many people on this board who recommend the Albergo del Senato hotel which have rooms with balconies looking right onto the Pantheon. Do a search on the board and you will see many glowing reports. I personally have not been fortunate enough to stay at this hotel but maybe someday.....
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM

There are several hotels up on the Aventine Hill - you can look on www.venere.com and chose that area. I think that is a part of the city where it is quieter but almost every other part of Rome is very hectic. The Aventine is a quiet residential section with several old churches. We walk from there to either Camp di Fiori or over to Trastavere for dining but it is good walk, esp up the hill at the end of the evening - I think the hotels are some closer restaurant suggestions - one was lovely but a bit pricey for us - it is up on the Aventine tho.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM

The majority of posters here do not stay near the Via Veneto which has been described as "snooty" and "fancy schmancy" and, amazingly enough, "not the real Rome."

There are several very upscale hotels in that area which tends to be very quiet.

I've stayed at the top and the bottom of the street but never on it. It is actually walkable to some of the other areas and there is a Metro stop at the bottom (Piazza Barberini) and an underground walkway toward the Spanish Steps at the top.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:31 AM

The Aventine Hill is a good suggestion.
Take also in consideration the Parioli Quarter with the Borromini hotel and The Duke - you can find both areas on www.nyceParis.com . Parioli is also a residential area, but better collegated to the city center. The advantage of the Aventine area is that it is located near the Colosseum and the roman forum.