Rome hotel: Spanish Steps or Roman Forum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can't decide between two good hotels in great locations for a good price ... Please help ...

The Hotel Duca d'Alba, which is near the forum and the colloseum, or the Trinità dei Monti, which is near the Spanish steps?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM

The location near the Pantheon is really great. Check out Hotel del Senato, great location and Hotel Portoghese, a little less expensive but great location.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- we're actually just trying to choose between these two hotels I mentioned above because we got great deals (less than $160 euros/night) during the high season. Any more thoughts on Spanish steps vs. Forum as a base in Rome?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM

The Monti area, where the Duca d'Alba is, is becoming more popular. If you want to be in an ordinary Roman neighborhood with relatively inexpensive restaurants, go for the Duca d'Alba.

The Spanish Steps area, while also rich in restaurants, is much more a high-rent and tourist area, with Rome's most expensive shopping streets. If that appeals to you, go for the Trinita dei Monti.

The Spanish Steps area is somewhat more central than the Monti area.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:34 AM

The neighborhood near the Forum isn't particularly interesting, and it's pretty far removed from the 'old city', Vatican, Spanish Steps, and other fun parts of the city. I would choose something by the Spanish steps, even though this is a very tourisy area.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

All very helpful ... now I am somewhat leaning toward the Trinita dei Monti because of location. Has anyone stayed at that hotel?

Part of the reason we're considering the forum area is because the Hotel Duca d'Alba is very highly touted on Frommer's and Fodor's ...

Pls. keep the thoughts coming!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:57 AM

Spanish steps may be touristy but it's where all we romans also go if we want to go shopping or walking. It's a bit like saying Oxford St in London is touristy....it's just very central so everyone goes. The vatican is touristy as in "only tourists".
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM

Touristy is right. Spanish Steps and the streets around it remind me too much of Beverly Hills. When I am in Italy I want to feel like I am in Italy. The prevailing preference on this website is for the Pantheon area, but your two choices have the advantage of being convenient to the (very limited) Roman subway system - that's a quick and cheap way to rest your hooves on your way to the Vatican museum.

Another reason to choose Duca d'Alba over Trinita dei Monti - a quick internet search finds several mentions of mold problems at the latter.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:47 PM
MaureenB

What about the Trevi Fountain area?

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:36 AM

Avoid the Spanish Steps at all cost. Mostly, tt is a bunch of vapid Italian teeny boppers and illigal immigrants descending on people to sell them sun glasses if they make the mistake of stopping for two seconds. On the plus side, it is the only place in Rome where you can sit down for free. (If you've been to Rome, you should know what I mean.)
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:00 AM

The trinita dei monti location is preferable in my view. But neither would be my ideal.

As you are determined to choose one of the 2, I`d go with Trinita dei Monti, other things being equal.

The crowds on the Spanish steps are a bore but in a couple of minutes you can walk past the Villa Medici to the Pincio gardens -- or descend to the P.zza del Popolo, one of the great sights of Rome.

Like others, I would recommend the Pantheon- P.zza Navona area as a place where you will likely want to spend a good bit of time, even if not staying there.

We have had good experiences with 2 apartment rentals but that, too, is getting away from your expressed preference.