Hotels in Rome, Italy

Search

Hotels in Rome, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Rome, Italy

I am going to Rome in early September - never been there before. I like the area called Piazza Navona. Has anyone stayed at the Grand Hotel de la Minerve or the Raphael Hotel? Both look very nice. What do you think of staying in this area as opposed to the Via Veneto or Spagna area where a lot of the luxury hotels are? The Piazza Navona looks like a central and interesting area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Lynn
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM

The Grand Hotel de la Minerve is quite near the Pantheon and a five-minute walk from Piazza Navona. I much prefer this area to the Via Veneto and Spagna areas, although Piazza di Spagna is not that far away. (I have never understood the allure of the Piazza di Spagna.)
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM

You can't get accommodation much closer to the Pantheon then the Hotel Minerva...unless you stay at the Senato!

I agree with ellenem...I try to stay in the Navonna area when I'm in Rome.

For me, I find it to be the most central location for getting around the city, you can pretty much walk to most sites in the Centro Storico (Historic Center) from here and I've found pretty good transportation options from this area to other parts of the city.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM

The Navona area is much better location than via Veneto.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM

The Via Veneto is past its prime. The only reason to stay here is to have easy access to the Borghese Gardens or the Borghese Gallery. There are some luxury shops on this street and many outside restaurants that cater to tourists.

Although I have never stayed here, I just love the look of the Hotel Raphael just a street away from the Piazza Navona. The outside of the hotel is covered in ivy.

I love the fountain in front of the Pantheon. It is one of my favourite things in Rome. The fountain is practically right in front of the del Senato.

If you decide to stay in the Spanish Steps area and can afford it, I would say to go with the Hotel de Russie. This hotel has the most beautiful garden. The Pincio is just behind the hotel.

The Spanish Steps area is rather crowded with tourists who come to gawk at Gucci, Prada, and Ferragamo, but there are some pretty streets in this area especially the Via Margutta.

Thin
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM

The Hotel Raphael is a beautiful hotel with a lovely roof terrace where you can have dinner, but the drawback is that many of the rooms are lacking regarding views.

The Grand Hotel de la Minerve is a gorgeous hotel, but they are a bit on the cold side relative to their service - and the clientele are a bit older. Their service has been a bit lacking what one would expect from a 5 star and that is probably why they have been offering so many special rates that you may find recently on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. The location is great, but on a first-visit-to-Rome basis, I would highly recommend the Albergo del Senato at the Pantheon. You will get a wonderful room, a view, great service, a rooftop terrace and location all at a better value than with the other hotels.

Just my thought. Enjoy your first trip to Rome - I hope it will be all you imagined and more!