Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Proof of credit card insurance needed for Europcar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rented a car for 2.5 weeks through Europcar picking up at Gatwick returning LHR. I will be using my AMEX card. Did I read somewhere that I need written proof of insurance from my credit card company to enable me to decline their insurance? OR..... was that just a bad dream? LOL!

Thanks to all replies in advance!
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 02:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are using AMEX Premium insurance, I think you do need to print out the coverage/limitations. Did you book directly through Europcar -- or via Autoeurope?
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi janisj! I'm planning on utilizing the car rental insurance that is automatically provided through my green AMEX. I'm not familiar with their "Premium Insurance". I did book through Autoeurope. Does that make a difference on the insurance???

Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 03:59 PM

>>I did book through Autoeurope. Does that make a difference on the insurance???<<

No not re the insurance, but if you booked through Autoeurope -- then take advantage of their wonderful customer service. Phone them (toll free # ) and ask for clarification of what exactly you need to take/show . . .
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 06:12 AM

I'd still print out and bring the policy. Even if you don't need to show it as proof of insurance, the procedure for how to handle a crash and make a claim is in it. There will be police report requirements and reporting time limits.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Amex Premium: about $20/rental (less where states set it lower) may give peace of mind since it isn't "free" coverage so "must" be better. I get this coverage even though unsure if it's better than free Amex coverage. You would have to call and initiate it, then call again since AutoEurope rentals will not trigger coverage automatically (AutoEurope comes through on your statement as "travel agent" not "car rental" so it won't initiate by itself). I don't endorse AutoEurope personally, they are a third party, most people like them however.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Amex Premium is primary rental insurance. "Free" Amex is secondary.

Under secondary, your auto insurance covers the claim,; Amex free pays only the deductible. Because your car insurance pays, your premium will likely go up.

Under primary, your personal auto insurance never gets involved.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Right but in Europe there is no primary/ secondary dynamic, that only happens for domestic rentals when one's home policy is in effect. Overseas any credit card coverage is automatically primary. The exception is when using both rental insurance + Amex Premium (there is no requirement to waive rental car coverage for Amex Premium coverage as this is for basic Amex or any other credit card coverage). In this case Amex Premium is secondary and picks up the deductible and anything (like water damage or vandalism) that the rental car insurance excludes. At least that's what I remember from recent research.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 07:46 AM

Oops, "...as there is for...
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:50 AM

>>Under secondary, your auto insurance covers the claim,; Amex free pays only the deductible. Because your car insurance pays, your premium will likely go up. <<

Totally irrelevant - 'Your auto insurance' won't cover you in Europe . . .