Theft insurance, etc. on rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to France in September and renting a car (probably from Autoeurope) for the second week in Loire and Champagne. I will be declining the CDW because of my credit card coverage, but wonder about getting the theft coverage or other coverage? We will probably be leaving the car at Giverny with our luggage in it for the morning, but for the most part, the luggage will be at the hotels.

What extra coverage do you purchase and why?

thanks

Karen
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check with your credit card company to make sure you don't void your coverage by taking any kind of insurance (theft or otherwise) from the rental agency.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:47 AM

I would check with your own auto insurance company to see what level of coverage you already have.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:58 AM

I sense from your question that you are also concerned about the theft of luggage from your car? So far as I know, no car insurance will cover that. It is up to your homeowner's insurance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:11 PM

Patrick is correct. Theft from your car would be covered by your homeowner's (or sharehoilder's or renter's) insurance. You would need to have a copy of the police report to file a claim.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, yes I was concerned about theft of belongings more than theft of vehicle. I will look into what my own car insurance might cover (although I doubt if it's anything!)

Karen
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Patrick and Coco are right. I had a travel bag stolen from my rental car in Nice. I went to the Commissariat for a police report and later filed a claim with my homeowner's insurance.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Also check with you CC company to see that they cover CDW in that country. In Italy where it's mandatory for CDW to be included, the CC companies don't cover it. We have checked with Amex several times and received the same answer.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Why do we ask questions of strangers but not of the professionals we're paying who know the answers?

1. Call your credit card company and inquire what they cover in case of an accident with a rental car and if you do have an accident what procedures to follow.

2. Call your automobile insurance company or agent and request the same info. You do pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year for the insurance so why not get the answer from them.

3. Call your homeowners insurance company to see if they cover theft from a rental auto. Again, you are paying.