Car Insurance

Mar 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Car Insurance

We usually decline car insurance when we rent, instead relying on our regular car insurance and our credit card for coverage. We heard that since the cars are driven on left, our US car insurance won't cover a rental. Also heard that may be the case with coverage from credit card. Any input?
Mar 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM

If your credit card covers Collision / Damage Waiver (CDW) and Theft Protection, then you can decline them. But that only covers your car in the case of an accident. It will not cover liability insurance.

Chances are that you will not be covered in the Caribbbean for liability insurance by your US insurance - not because of the left-side driving thing but because you are not covered in a foreign country.

Call your insurance agent to make sure of your coverage - he/she will be the best source of information. And, check to make sure of your coverage for CDW/TP with your credit card.
Mar 20th, 2006, 02:27 AM

I called our insurance company already and I was told since we would be in the USVI we would be covered so definitely call your insurance company and ask.
Mar 20th, 2006, 02:43 AM

You didn't mention which island.
Anyway, you really need to call your insurance company and your credit card company. Each differ. For example, our car insurance company covers all rentals in the U.S. but does NOT cover rentals outside the U.S. (nothing to do with driving on the left or right).
Mar 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

We will be in St. John. And for the record, this is not a foreign country...it is the UNITED STATES Virgin Islands.
Mar 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Debit, thanks for the geography lesson. What did you car insurance company and your credit card company say when you called them?
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM

DebitNM: Wow. How patronizing, forget that you didn't mention which island in your first post. Maybe requesting info here is not for you since we're all dummies?
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM

American Express covers car rental insurance in USVI and some other islands.Just back from Turks and Caicos and we were covered for car rental.
Allstate Insurance (car insurance) doesn't cover if you rent outside of the 50 states.
Mar 20th, 2006, 12:49 PM

When I responded about coverage in a foreign country, the odds were that you would be driving in one -- more of the Caribbean is NOT under US affiliation than is.

Mar 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry if I sounded "patronizing"!! When I posted the question, I thought it would be clear that my quiry was related to the US Virgin Islands, since that was the board I was looking at when I posted the question. That I didn't specify St. John was an oversight; I didn't realize that it would show up somewhere other than USVI section. And my comment about it being part of the United States wasn't meant to be arrogant...rather that perhaps some people don't think of USVI {or Hawaii or Puerto Rico etc} as being part of the US. [I happen to live in a state that has been mistakenly thought to be a foreign country. And that gets us more than a bit put off..."it's NEW Mexico" we tell people. SO perhaps my reply was coming from that avenue.

Posting here in the past has always been a helpful experience, with my offering answers to questions posed by other people as well as having my questions answered by helpful people.

Perhaps you judged my response a bit hastily? Thank you to those who answered.
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM

So...in the interest of being helpful, please do us the favor of replying to the original question.

What did your credit card company and your insurance company tell you about coverage in the USVI?
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I am awaiting word from our travel partners, who will actually be picking up the car as they arrive before us. As soon as I hear, I will post.
Mar 21st, 2006, 04:22 AM

DebitNM: My apologies if I judged you to hastily. But I also felt you made a not so flattering assumption about your fellow Fodorites.
Anyway, everyone's point about making your own calls to your insurance company and credit cards was just made on this board. Stella39 said Allstate does not cover outside the U.S. States. We have Allstate and unless my agent gave me the wrong information, when we went to Puerto Rico and St. John, he assured us we were covered on our rental cars (their coverage includes all the U.S. territories he said).
Enjoy St. John. It's a beautiful island with incredible beaches.
Mar 21st, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Carib -- Thank you for the apology; it is accepted graciously. One of the short comings of using this media...only see words, can't hear tone of words or body language. I meant no harm. I reacted only from my past experience/knowledge dealing with far too many who don't know much about our country. Ever watch Jay Leno's "Streetwalking segement? It appalls me to hear the lack of knowledge that so many people seem to have about the US and the World for that matter {Sorry, this is the teacher in me}. I have always admired and appreciated the knowledge that Fodorites have. Oh well...
Still waiting on reply...I think I will call our insurance company and credit card company just to be safe. Will post when I hear anything.
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM

Hello Caribtraveler,

I hope you're agent (All State) is correct and mine is incorrect. I was told no rental coverage outside of the US. I'm going call again. Thank you for the info.
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:10 AM

Caribtraveler,

I just called my All State Insurance company and I was told YES, I'm covered in USVI, Puerto Rico and 75 miles into Mexico from a US border.

Thank you so much for alerting me to this info.
This board is wonderful.
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM

You should check with your credit card company. Every company's a bit different. I know my American Express covers me worldwide, but I don't think all credit cards do.
Mar 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Stella39: Fantastic.
Mar 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

OK...here is what I found out. We have USAA car insurance said our coverage does extend to US possessions. All of our cover applies. However, they do not cover "indirect loss." This means IF the car should be in an accident and has to be in a repair shop [or otherwise not be able to be rented out], USAA will not pay for lost profits and admin. fees that the car rental place may charge.

I then called Citibank, where we have our Mastercard. They will cover [worldwide] theft, damage, collision but no liability or personal injury [that would be covered by USAA].

So, that's what I found out. I also a helful tip from Citicard that I will post separately.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:30 AM

Whoa Debit! According to your post, someone else is picking up the car for you before you arrive. In my experience, that is who is liable. They will have to provide a credit card (no matter which CC was used to book the car) and Driver's info. You can go back later and be added as an extra driver, but in my experience the original driver is the one who is actually liable. Your "travel partners" are the ones who should check with their insurance and CC. Makes no difference who booked the car, just who picks it up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO