Prices for food in Rome

Search

Prices for food in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prices for food in Rome

I am trying to get an idea on how much money I will need to set asside for my two week honeymoon trip in September. Can anyone give me a general idea how much I shoudl expect to spend . We hoping to find some very romantic spots a few night since it is our honeymoon. We will be in Rome for 5 nights and then on the Amalfi Coast for 6 nights. Would love suggestions along with an idea on how much we should set aside.<BR>Thanks for the help!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:57 AM

It is pretty easy to find good food at reasonable prices in Rome. Most hotels (except the luxury 5 star hotels) provide breakfast which is included in your room rate. These breakfasts vary from coffee and a roll to very ample buffets with meats, cheeses and fruit. The main meal of the day in Italy is lunch and it is a good habit to get into there because if you make it your main meal, you will save some money. Trattoria dar Pallaro near Campo di Fiori serves a set meal (no menu) with multiple courses, wine and water for about 20 Euro per person. Italians usually have a light dinner of pizza or something similar at an enoteca. I like Pizzeria da Baffetto near Piazza Navona. Pizzas there are about 8 Euro. Or have some deep fried baccala (cod) at Filettaro di Santa Barbara in Largo dei Librari also near Campo di Fiori. Baccala and pototoes and wine for two run around 15 Euro. If you want a nice dinner, for lunch grab a porchetta (roast pork) sandwich at one of the street vendors usually found in Trastevere, or a slice of pizza bianco or panino (sandwich)at a tavola caldo (Rome's answer to fast food). These light lunches can be had for around 10 Euro for two. Then have dinner at a reasonable restaurant like Tram Tram in San Lorenzo (about 60 Euro for 2, depending on wine)Ditirambo in Campo di Fiori (around 80 Euro for two again depending on wine)Perilli in Testaccio (around 40 Euro for 2--a note about Testaccio-you'll find great traditional Roman cooking here for much less than places in the Centro Storico)or La Campana near the Pantheon (about 70 Euro for 2). A romantic spot might be Vecchia Roma in the Jewish Ghetto. It has a pretty patio set out in the quiet medieval piazza.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:03 AM
rex

The spectrum of possible answers is so braod that it can only be answered in the context of how much you would spend in your own hometown (or the nearest major tourist-draw city).<BR><BR>In Columbus (Ohio), I find that more and more, memorable dinners run $60 for two without alcohol; $90 with. Before tip.<BR><BR>You can eat great in Rome for that kind of money. And you can leave 1 or 2 euro as tip (or as much as you would leave in the US, if you wish).<BR><BR>We also eat at Bob Evans (or something similar) for under $20. It's &quot;pedestrian&quot; but you can eat &quot;pedestrian&quot; in Rome, too (maybe it costs you $25 instead of $20, since why would you eat ANY dinner in Italy without wine!?) - - but it's all great, at every point on the price horizon.<BR><BR>Whatever your budget, congratulations on your new life in marriage... and ...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Any info in Positano Capri or Ravello?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:08 AM
rex

Umm... between 20 and 90 euro for two?<BR><BR>There are all price ranges in just about all destinations in Italy.<BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:27 AM

I agree with Rex that in most places you can spend whatever you like. It's up to your palate and your budget.<BR>You can have great Italian pizza and a glass of wine for a few euro and you may want to do that a few nights. Sometimes you even get an outdoor terrace with romance for free. You can have a better meal for two with a modest wine and get by for 60 euro for two. Or you can spend much more.<BR><BR>I'd look elsewhere here at fodors.com for restaurant rants and raves comments; prices are often mentioned.<BR>Also, many guidebooks and websites have suggestions about restaurants in all price ranges. Lonely Planet and Rick Steves seem to have the most budget-minded suggestions.<BR>In Rome, places you might consider are <BR>L'Insalata Ricca (pastas and salads primarily, casual but pleasant, two locations in the Centro Storico area.<BR>You can get by with 20 euro pp.<BR><BR>I had one very casual dinner on Piazza Navona, at Ai Tre Tartufi. Ai Tre Tartufi had very good pizza and great gelato for dessert. They have other dishes on the menu as well.<BR><BR>This one I haven't tried yet:<BR>Da Sergio,Vicolo delle Grotte 27 (near Campo dei Fiori), Reservations recommended on weekends. Recommended at timeout.com<BR>as cheap, friendly home cooking.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

If you had a choice for one splurge night what would be the best meal in Rome and on the Coast? Say money was no object for one night!!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:51 AM

La Terrazza at the top of the Eden Hotel, Relais de Jardin in the Hotel Lord Byron, or, and perhaps fewer tourists as well as fewer euro, Agata e Romeo in the Santa Maria Maggiore neighborhood.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM

For the Rome splurge I'd pick Checchino dal 1887 in Testaccio. I definitly would not go to Relais de Jardin in the Lord Byron. We made the mistake of picking it for our 5th wedding anniversay dinner and have never been so disappointed. Food maginal French, service aloof and you're in a small windowless dining room. La Terrazza at the Eden is a better choice if you're going for hotel food--at least it has an incredible view and the food is excellent. In Positano I think the best food is not in the most expensive places but up in the village of Montepertuso above Positano at either Donna Rosa or Da Costantino. Both have cars to pick you up and return you to your hotel in Positano and the views are breathtaking.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:12 AM

You will spend between $4000 and $7000 on this trip--it is up to you. If you want to see detail then find my budget article at www.slowtrav.com
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Don't worry about food prices. It's your honeymoon. Eat, drink, make love, and be merry!!<BR><BR>To hell with the planning. Ask around with the locals. They'll tell you where to go, and where to buy that bottle of wine, cheese, bread, and olives and where to have the best picnic.<BR><BR>Enjoy, don't rush, play it by ear, relax, and you'll have a wonderful time. The thing you don't want to do is go on a regimented and rushed schedule to try to see everything at the same time. You can always go back for an anniversary memory.