How much should be budget for meals??

Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:00 PM
Kelly

How much should be budget for meals??

Hi. I am sure someone must have asked this before but here it goes. We are going to Italy for 2 weeks and will be in the main touristy areas. We plan to eat in moderately priced places for lunch and dinner (breakfast is provided by the hotels). How much should we realistically budget per day per person including tips, etc.?? Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:01 PM
Kelly

Yes, it should have read: "How much should WE budget for meals?".

Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:09 PM
Rex

Excerpted from a previous thread:

Author: Rex ([email protected])
Date: 06/02/2001, 07:45 pm

$45 per person per day - living good
$80 per person per day - princely

and princely, every day, gets very tiresome, unless you already have a daily habit of expensive wines.

----------------------------------------

Author: Ed ([email protected])
Date: 06/02/2001, 09:04 pm

Message: You're probably more able to make an estimate than we are.

At least in my experience I find meal costs are more related to the person than to the area.

One course? Five courses? Meat eater? Almost vegetarian? Usually desert? Wine or no wine? Upscale restaurants? Enjoy seeking out neighborhood spots?

You'll find, I think, what you spend eating out in your hometown and nearest large city will give you a pretty good starting point.

Is breakfast included at any of your hotels? Almost anywhere you can find a small "bar" or cafe where you can get a simple breakfast.

In round numbers, for my own trip budgeting, I plan on $15 pp for lunch with an occasional $25 splurge, about $25 for a dinner, with an occasional $35 splurge. Breakfast, if not included in the room price, can be under $5 in a neighborhood bar, over $15 at the hotel.

Aug 24th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Alice Twain

The prices I am listing refer to Milano, which is where I live and where I have dinner out most frequently. Milano is a costly city when it's up to food and restaurants, but some touristy places could be even more costly (for instance Venice).

The traditional Italian breakfast (coffee or cappuccino or tea and a piece of pastry) costs approx 1.50-2 euro.For lunch you can chose between several alternatives. The cheapest option it to buy a piece of cold pizza or focaccia at a brakery, all bakeries offer a pretty wide range of pizza and other salted or sweet pastries, check the prices, though, because some of the foods available might be pretty costly. Also, you can buy a piece of bread and have it filed with prosciutto (ham), salami or cheese at some "Salumeria". This will usually cost you 2-4 euro. A bit more costly is to hav a panino at a bar, in this case you will get more or less the same kind of food, but a lunch made of one panino, one glass of soda and one coffee costs 4-5 euro. In most cities you can fijnd self service restaurants, the main chians are Ciao and Brek. In these places you can have a pasta and a salad or a cooked vegetable with water or wine and bread for about 5-7 euro and a full meal of pasta, meat or fish, salad or cooked vegetables, a sweet and water or wine for 8-10 euro.
The price you will pay for your dinner will vary considerably according to what you are planning to have. A pizza with wine and a sweet will cost 10-15 euro, a full dinner in a trattoria vill cost approx. 15 euro, a good but budget restaurant will offer a full meal for 15-25 euro.

Aug 24th, 2002, 02:50 PM
up

up