Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How much are meals in Spain? Trying to budget with our poor dollar!!!!

How much are meals in Spain? Trying to budget with our poor dollar!!!!

May 25th, 2003, 04:31 AM
viajero

How much are meals in Spain? Trying to budget with our poor dollar!!!!

I have been planning my two week trip to Barcelona for several months now. Needless to say, it has been discouraging to see the dollar drop on a daily basis. I am bracing myself for the possibility that the dollar could drop another 10% by the time I travel in August. So I would like to have an idea of the price range of meals in restaurants in Spain. Fortunately, I paid for my lodging already but I need to know how much eating out will cost me so that I can plan accordingly. Would it be possible to get by on $40 US a day for lunch and dinner? Gracias!

May 25th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Lunch is the cheaper of the two as you can have Menu del Dia. Price varies, but you can have a decent one from around 8-10 euro, 15 at the most. This gives you two or three courses with wine or water (cofee extra). For dinner you pay more. Generally about double, so 16-20 in cheaper places, 30 in mid-range restaurants. $40 is around around 33 euro, so it's a fairly modest budget, but it's definitely doable.
May 25th, 2003, 12:18 PM

I agree that lunch is more reasonable. The lunch specials are required by law , and they are a real deal. Often it includes a soup or salad, entree, dessert and wine or beer for less than anything else on the menu. So eat a late lunch and call it your main meal.
For dinner you can eat some tapas, have wine or beer, and watch the world go by from sidewalk bars.
So $40 per day for food can work, if you work at it.
May 25th, 2003, 12:23 PM

If you're afraid the dollar will drop before your trip, you might want to buy some Euro now. When are you going btw? I'm in BCN in about a month...

The fixed-price menus for lunch are always a good deal. If you don't mind eating in less exclusive joints, 40 USD a day for food should be no problem at all.
May 25th, 2003, 12:32 PM
ira

Hi
The best way to keep to your budget is to buy your wine from wine shops, not bars and restaurants.

Also keep in mind that you can purchase some of your meals from street markets and groceries.

If Rachel Raye can do it, so can you!
May 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM

On the brighter side, look at it this way. I can't think of a major US city where a great atmospheric restaurant can give you as much for your money as in any city in Spain -- regardless of the relationship of euro to dollars.
May 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM

We found food in Spain to be very reasonable, but we're very light eaters and of course we were getting 1.14 for the dollar then. one place in Barcelona that was inexpensive and excellent was La Dolca Herminia at Magdalenes 27. And they have a non-smoking section (which is how we got in so easily without reservations.)

Also, you can make a meal with tapas. Be aware that they charge for beard,so you can just say you don't want it, and IMO the beard was about the only food I didn't like in Spain. Don't worry about getting inexpensive wine--it was all wonderful.
May 25th, 2003, 05:53 PM

I also hated the beard....too hairy, but the bread is great tasty,fresh and natural.
May 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Actually, Marco, I LOVED the beard...it was the bread I had trouble with. LOL!

Search this Thread