kilometric railpass, italy

Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
janet

kilometric railpass, italy

I have seen the price for a kilometric railpass in italy to be $160. for 1st class. Is that per person or the total price of the pass? Thanks

Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
Alice Twain

The price is obviously total: your 160 euro pass will cover first class passages on ordinary trains for up to 5 people travelling for a total of 3000 kilometers. But I have to forewarn you about a few things.

1. This kind of pass is a good idea only if you plan to travel the full 3000 kilometers in italy, this means that if you are planning the most common tourists route (Venice-Rome-Naples area-Florence-Cinque terre), you will have to travel wit at least 2 companions in order to extract the full value of the pass.
2. Most long-distance trains require the payment of a suplement and often a furter booking fee for seat booking.
3. The trains that allow passengers with a kilometric pass and require no suplement often do not even have a first class, so that you will find yourself paying a first class pass and having to travel on second class instead.

Personally, I reckon that the kiloemtric pass is most useful only for Italian part-time commuters (people who commute to work or to the University a couple of times a week), while to a tourist it usually turns out to be a highier expense that it would be buying point-to-point tickets.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Marilyn

We've used the kilometro several times and saved a lot of money in the long run. I'm totally in favor of it. However you do need to know if you will be traveling enough to go the 3000 kilometers, we've over run ours and all you do is pay the little additional. And yes, you do have to pay the supplements on the faster trains and for seat reservations which are advisable on some legs, but not all. For instance, if you are going to ride from Orvieto to Siena you probably would not need the supplement or seat reservations. If you are riding from Rome to Florence you will. Overall I think you'll find a savings. Marilyn

Aug 24th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Ira

I have seen prices for the Italy Kilometric pass quoted as $160, $180 and $260 (all USD).
Can anyone help with the proper price?
Thank you

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:42 PM
mjs

I believe that there are combinations of people and travel situations that would make using the kilo pass the least expensive way to train travel in Italy.
I should note however that the trains in Italy are not very expensive and that point to point tickets can work out quite cheaply. My family of four traveled from Venice to Florence to Rome to Sorrento than back to Rome for less than $200 while using 2nd class Eurostar. We found the 2nd class on Eurostar to be quite comfortable and not much different than 1st class. I would however go first class on the lesser trains. I would look up the Italian train service web site and calculate prices for your planned trip than make your decision.