Praiano and the Amalfi Coast

Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Praiano and the Amalfi Coast

We are planning a trip in June 2006 for two weeks at a villa in Praiano, Italy on the Amalfi coast. We are looking for relaxing days, cooking some meals at the villa, and day trips to nearby towns and sites. We want to take a long day trip to Rome. I am looking for restaurants ideas, tips, and any information that will enhance this adventure.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

First of all, let me know if and when you get a decent airfare! I can recommend Restaurant Positano and Bruno in Positano. Also the restaurants in Montepertuso above Positano. Il Ritrovo in particular is wonderful. I also recommned getting up at 5 AM to watch the sunrise. It is the most amazing sight, if you can see Positano from Praiano. Sounds like a great trip!
Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM

Hi,

for day trips I would recommend Rsvello,Pompeii and Capri.

Ravello
Sita bus from Priano to Amalfi and onwards to Ravello. When you get there visit the Rulolo and Cimborne gardens. Have lunch at the Cimborne \hotel.

Pompeii

Sita bus to Sorrento (continue to the train station) then train to Pompeii. Pick up a guide or join a tour at the entrance.

Capri

Bus to Positano and ferry to Capri.
IMO visit Anicapri

Have a great trip
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:19 PM

Go to a concert one evening in Ravello. In June it will be outside..and may be the highlight of your trip. Just google ravello concert society. If you don't have a car..you might just make the bus back to Priano.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:32 PM

Buses might not be running after the concert, try a taxi.

mzdenn, this topic comes up a few times a week, for alot of information put in some key words in the search engine here, it is not the best search feature but should give you some ideas.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

We loved the laid-back and friendly Bar Trattoria Armandino for its wonderfully fresh seafood, and very cheerful owner. I believe its location is called Marina di Praiano...on a tiny beach near a little dock. Freshest calamari we've ever had in our lives. Order whatever is the fresh daily special.
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the all the advice. I am now a much better reader of Fodor advice. Tried the search like you said and yielded a wealth of information. Thinking of getting the family some Italian lessons for Christmas.
Oct 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM
ira

Hi mz,

In Praiano -

La Strada is a very good restaurant. The ambience is slightly formal. Service is very proper, yet not snooty. The food is first rate and beautifully presented. Price is very low for what you get.
Pizza and less formal upstairs.

La Brace is a very friendly restaurant with a homey feel. The food is very good.

You might want to take the ferry to Salerno, the train to Paestum and return from Salerno by SITA bus. A very nice day trip.

Enjoy your visit.

Oct 1st, 2005, 09:29 PM

We stayed in Praiano part of the time when we visited Amalfi. We enjoyed it very much.

Here's the URL of my web page which describes our trip. Perhaps it can help you in your planning.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/amalfi.html

Search this Thread