prague-worth a go?

Feb 5th, 2003, 06:17 AM
CCS
Original Poster

prague-worth a go?

i have only 25 days to travel around 7 cities(paris,barcelona,nice,florence,rome,venice,v ienna) in Europe. Prague is a tentative 8th stop, is it worth going? Or would it be better to stick to the 7?
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:59 AM
rex

I would eliminate Barcelona or Vienna from the list you have now.

If you keep Vienna, you might be able to justify a two night visit into Prague (but personally I would not). A lot depends on how you are going to string these together - - and how to get into and out of Europe? and what season?

Are you originating from North America?

My family and I are going to Vienna and Prague myself in May - - so it's not that I am negative on them. You just already have a lot of traveling - - and so many CITIES. Skipping the rural areas of France and Italy is missing half of each country.

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:07 AM

I loved Prague and would definitely say "go", but it depends on how much moving around you are comfortable with. It's a beautiful, wonderfully historic city, one of my favorites. From your list of 7, I've been to all but Barcelona and Nice, and I'd rank Prague 2nd or 3rd after Florence (loved it), and perhaps Venice.

Have fun!
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:43 AM

I've been to Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Vienna and Prague. Personally - I would keep Barcelona and drop Vienna in favor of Prague. Vienna is a great city - I want to go back during spring sometime. However, Prague defintely has more "omph" - no offense to the Vienna-lovers out there. And Barcelona is great - modernista architecture, Catalonian food - a very lively city. Vienna struck me as very restrained - but I was there at the beginning of Advent.
Feb 5th, 2003, 11:20 AM
rex

up to the top, for CCS
Feb 5th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Nice????? Nice is not nice!! I would only use it as a base to see Provence. Vienna is an old-world city with very disparate architecture. Unfortunately, the weather is deplorable. You can have sunshine on minute, then pouring rain the next. Vienna isn't on my top ten list. However, Florence, Paris, Rome, and Barcelona are. I read an article recently that Prague is still suffering flood damage from last year. I would make sure the sites you want to see there are open before you go. Cheers.
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Rex is right, I would eliminate Barcelona and Nice. Prague and Venice are the prettiest cities of Europe.
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:40 PM

I would eliminate Barcelona and Nice. Barcelona because it is out of the way and Nice because Monte Carlo is nicer if you are in that region. Prague is well worth a visit and is close to Vienna.
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:08 PM

Prague is my favorite city! I have been there 6 times. I like Vienna also but Prague is better. There is no trouble with flood damage now as someone mentioned. It is a great city because you can walk everywhere. I haven't been to Nice but have been all over the south of France. Monaco is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, but I think you can see the whole area in 1 or 2 days, rather than one city. When I went I stayed in Avignon, France (about 2 hours away) and then did a day trip down there. It was great. Good Luck
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:06 AM

I love Prague, it is one of my favorite cities, and I prefer it to Vienna. However, I wouldn't do your itinerary in other ways, so not sure how to answer. You're just covering too much area for only 25 days -- Barcelona in particular is far away from the other cities, so I would scrap it. I think you threw in Nice just because it was on the route, and that makes sense to me. YOu are only allowing about 3-4 days per city, and that includes all your travel time. I don't like to travel that way, I just don't enjoy it. It wouldn't bother me so much to have 3-4 days per city if they were much closer together, but these are all over the place so travel is going to be very expensive and time consuming.
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:11 AM

Well, we like the more easterly cities better. Nice is an absolute drop no matter what. Look at a map and you'll see how much time you'll be spending in transit. The most logical thing to do would be to drop Barcelona and Paris (I know I am one of the few who is not completely enamoured with Paris) and add Prague and Budapest. By the way, I have been to every city mentioned in this post, but they have been seen on multiple trips.

If this will help you with your planning, my daughter studied in Vienna several years ago. At the end of her stay she had exactly the amount of traveling time you did. Here is what they managed to fit in their itinerary--Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Rome, & Vienna (so she could show the city to her boyfriend from the US). They used a Eurail pass and started at the Frankfurt airport where she met her boyfriend. By the end of the trip she was exhausted and sick (and she was only 21).