Prague wine tasting?

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague wine tasting?

Some friends and I are looking to do some wine tasting while we are in Prague. We are college students and don't know a lot about wine, but we would like to find a really cool place.... probably with reasonable prices and a helpful staff. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Hi,
Will you be traveling to other parts of the Czech Republic? My daughter studied in Prague in 2003 and went to Znojmo (sp?) in the Moravian region, near Telc, for a wine festival. They went into different wine cellars and had wine tasting. She said it was great! We will be in CR in August & will stay one night in Telc so we may drive to Znojmo. I read about a wine cellar with painted walls; sounds interesting.

Beer is the specialty in Prague and Bohemia, not sure about wine.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM

though wine is produced in the Czech republic it is not well known for this.
I have had a look to see if there is any wine tating nights in Prague but can't se anything.
Beer is the main alcohol drink and what the Czech republic ius especially well known.I have just recently returned from the Prague Beer Festival.So how about trying some beers.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1331

There are also some beer walks you can go on and meet up with other people and have a great night out.I have done a couple of these night outs over my many visits to the city.
http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1136
http://www.funinprague.eu/walks/Beer-Walk/
http://www.discoverczech.com/prague/...beer-walk.php4
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here you go. We really enjoyed this place when we went last June. It is in Mala Strana.

"Refreshed after a 30-minute nap and nice shower, we were going to hook up with everyone at the downstairs wine cellar, The Noble Club, which the four of us had stopped by for a moment the previous evening.

Walking down the stairs to the cellar and, in a startlingly similar fashion as I had 20 hours earlier, I knocked over the candle at the end of the stairs (you can actually see the exact candle on its website). Fortunately, it was not lit, or I would be posting this from Prague Prison.

Kim was already flirting with the wine girl (the lovely Denise) upon our entrance to the cellar, so I knew the evening was getting off to a good start. This vinotheque (located at Tržiště 371) offers several wines by the glass and has a nice selection of wines from around the world. The music was perfect (I can hear Julie London singing “Fly Me To The Moon” as I am writing this).

We sat in a little room (no smoking) that had about six or seven tables lit by candles. The entire place was charming, the wines Denise selected for us (a Zweigeltrebe 2003 Moravian wine and the Chateau des Ducs Bordeaux Superieur) were good. They also served (on a wooden platter) some bread, cheese (Swedish), tomatoes and green olives. Everything was perfect."

Also, try the Bellavista restaurant with a patio that has great views of Prague. Try the Urquell Dark draft beer on a warm afternoon or evening. It is up the hill from The Noble Club (just ask and they will give you directions). Enjoy.

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Troja Palace next to Prague Zoo has a large wine cellar with a counter for tasing per glass. Last time I was there they didn't understand much English. There are vineyards near the palace. If you are not particularly interestewd in wine, wine tasting may not be an essential thing to do when you are in Prague.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Considering that Czech Republic is the home of pilsner beer (named for Plzen, Czech Republic), why are you WINE tasting? Seriously, one of Robert Parker's shortest books would be 90-point Czech Wines I Love.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Even better than Telc and Znjomo is Valtice. This is a lovely town in South Moravia. You could consider taking a train to Breclav direct from Prague and then you can hire bikes. It is a great area for cycling. I'll have some pictures up on my website pretty soon!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Czech wine isn't that good, and the tolerable stuff wouldn't be made in or near Prague at all. I think Moravia is the best wine region. If you don't know much about wine, I think I'd forego winestasting in Prague as it might put you off wine.