Prague vs Vienna

Search

Prague vs Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague vs Vienna

Hello! I am about to place a deposit on a Uniworld River Cruise (Danube Discovery & Prague) for May 2015 and am torn as to whether I want to extend our trip in Vienna or Prague. Any suggestions that could help us choose? We love art, music, architecture, etc,

Thank you!
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:30 PM

well, in both places you will be ok. Architecture and history wise, both are very similar. The difference is mainly what happened to them during the last 50 years. Vienna is richer, cleaner, has more music and museums and people speak German. Prague is a bit cheaper (not much anymore though), has more poor areas, less famous orchestras, better beer and people speak Czech.
If I was you, I would throw a coin. You are fine either way.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
<< Danube Discovery and Prague >>

Does the cruise start in Vienna and end in Prague? Or vice versa? How many days in Prague and Vienna does its offer inclusive?

I loved Prague and spent 5 nights there and could have used a few more. I spent 4 nights in Vienna and probably could have used another night or two, liked it but didn't love it.

I did day trips to Terezin and Melk.

Both are well known for all of your likes.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Guess I should put Vienna in the forefront for music and art. But, Prague is rich in these also.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:11 PM
kja

IMO, both are wonderful. I would say that Vienna has more and better museums and it has a greater Austro-Hungarian influence on its architecture (although it also has some wonderful buildings from many other eras) and also its "feel," which I found a bit more formal. Prague is much more Bohemian and vibrant, while still holding much that is worth seeing. As others are saying, each can be wonderful.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:37 PM

I've been to both.

If I had to pick one over the other, I would definitely pick Prague.

It is a really pretty city.

Lots to do, excellent food and incredible beer (Kozel Black!!)

Vienna was good too, but Prague was special.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM

I have also been to both and liked both, but I also found Prague special. We can't wait to go back.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 02:28 AM

No doubts, Vienna. Better hotels, museums and food.
Vienna was the center of a great empire, and is a really wonderful city, not that Prague is bad at all, but I really prefer Vienna.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in Vienna and have visited Prague twice for a total of 12 days. I took a peek at your proposed itinerary and noted that the only museum stop in Vienna is Art History (which is spectacular in its own right). The Albertina is not an equal for the Art History museum; I would take the "locals" tour if you're here on a Monday. If it's museums and architecture you're after, go with Vienna. The Prague itinerary seems rather hurried, but you will get to "see" more of the city.

Which city would I add on days for? Prague. I find the diversity of Prague refreshing compared to the Imperial Vienna that most visitors experience. Also to consider: The Viennese are reserved; Prague will seem friendlier. I speak American-learned German and am consistently corrected by the Viennese, but smiled at and responded to by the Czech peoples. Vienna is expensive; Prague will not be as burdensome on your pocketbook. Both cuisines are excellent, if you eat meat. Austrian wine is very good; so is Czech beer. Vienna's stores close early during the week and are not open on Sundays; if you're into shopping, go with Prague.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to both also and I am not sure I totally agree with the "better hotels" part in Vienna. Prague has some very luxurious hotels if you are willing to pay for them.

You have to realize that the overall look and feel of the two cities is/are very different. Vienna was once the center of an empire and it is evident. When you are in the Old Town part of Prague if you take away the trams and the cars the place looks almost medieval. And that is one reason it has been used for the background in various period piece movies.

I would certainly spend time in both but don't expect them to be the same and that's why you need to go to both.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies! I appreciate it. The cruise direction is Vienna to Prague. I could theoretically extend both but not sure I can get the time away. We've decided to definitely extend Prague, however, based on research and everyone's advice Thanks again.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 04:54 PM

Been to both and I wold not miss Prague.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 04:55 PM

If you can only extend the trip in one place..then Prague
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a museum junkie and love Vienna's museums. But I have to say I found Prague more "interesting" in an indefinable way.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:13 PM
kja

"I'm a museum junkie and love Vienna's museums. But I have to say I found Prague more 'interesting' in an indefinable way." -- I remember saying much the same thing to my brother once. He said, "Was Prague, perhaps, more ... Bohemian?" LOL, I finally understood what that descriptor meant!
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Vienna is a city with great museums. Prague is a city that IS a museum.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:36 PM

well said basingstoke2