Prague/Vienna/Budapest 9-day tour -- money question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2024, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a single, mature woman and am taking a nine day tour of Prague/Vienna/Budapest, 3 days in Vienna, 4 days in Prague and Budapest in late March, early April 2024. The extra days are on my own, no tour. Hotels and some meals are paid for. I wondered how much I could potentially need for the extras like food any other day-to -day purchases, nothing extravagent. I intend on taking two credit cards and having some local currency with me upon arrival. How much would be a good estimate? Are credit cards readily accepted? Should i take any cash at all or rely solely on cards? I have never traveled these countries before, so this is a new adventure.
I appreciate any/all advice.
Thank you!

Lily Miller,
Minneapolis, MN

Last edited by cushty1; Jan 24th, 2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 01:34 PM

Yes, cards will work best as currency in Hungary is the Forint, Vienna uses Euros, and Czech (Prague) uses Crowns! Impossible! We were on a river cruise for two weeks at these venues, and credit cards worked everywhere. Were in Vienna 35 years ago for Schonbrunn and Spanish Riding School, so this time went to Museum Quartier (all located near each other) and to the Imperial Treasury, very interesting in Hopsburg Palace complex. In Prague, do not miss the Municipal House (with four restaurants to boot) whose Art Nouveau inside and outside is breathtaking literally. Also the Imperial Cafe (adjoining hotel) is a great spot for aftn break for a treat. It is near the Municipal House. Walk Wenseslaus Square (spelling?), and of course walk the Charles Bridge and see the Clock in the main square. In Budapest do not miss Fishermans Bastion up atop by the Palace overlooking the Danube, far more beautiful setting than the Castle venue in Prague.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 07:16 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I returned last month from a 10 day tour of Poland, Prague and Germany. I only had some left over Euros from a prior trip so used my credit card for most purchases and only got small amounts of cash using my ATM in Poland and Czech as I was visiting markets and not all vendors accepted credit card for food and drinks. Based on my credit card, I spent about 100 US dollars a day but I can be a shopper sometimes and charged whatever I could. I was with another person who I sometimes paid for and only 4 dinners were prepaid so my amount may be a little generous and I did buy some amber jewelry as gifts in sterling silver but not extravagant in my opinion.

I only travel with my ATM to access cash and 1 credit card. My friend had only cash so started us off with providing a tip for the car service we had at the start of the trip. I paid the tip going back so used cash and also tipped in cash to my tour guide and driver. Also at some rest stops when buying something, the cash line had little to no people but the credit line was long.
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Helpful! Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 12:39 PM

Hi
I am from Vienna and travel to Praha and Budapest to. It depend what you want to do. If you want do a hardcore Trip you need ~5€ on Food when you Eat some slice of Bread with cheap Spread. On the other end the Supermarkets offer you the finest European Foods you can imagine. Let me say it so it depend what you want to do.

Pls tell me:
a) Did you book any connection between the City?
b) Did you book and Transfers?
c) Maybe your Hotel (Adress)?
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 12:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
assuming you want one major meal a day, some coffees and a snack then roughly E50 to 70 should be enough. You are in capital cities so everything is a bit more expensive than in the countryside. If you decide you want to eat and drink international cuisine in international facilities it will be more (Eg a Hilton), if you want to eat only street/market food and drink water it will be much less. Cards are taken in most places.

Local currency is required but alternatives might be taken though expect to pay a premium for that service. I tend to use tool like Revolut which allows your phone to handle multiple currencies and conversion at good rates but cards should be fine

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jan 27th, 2024 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 01:01 AM

It's Czechia not Czech btw.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 06:11 AM

There are always places that want just cash, and usually, these are for small purchases.

If you have an ATM card that charges no fees for international ATM withdrawals, use your card to withdraw local currency. Otherwise, since you are on a tour, your tour guide will point out a place or two where it is good to exchange money. Exchange $40 or $60 to have some local currency with you. At the end of the trip, you may always add the left-over Hungarian Florint and Czech Koruna to the tip envelope to your tour guide.

Credit cards work in Vienna, except for some taxi drivers who want cash. Also, when you buy subway/bus/tram tickets or passes at a machine, most of these machines take only cash.

Last edited by Reading54; Jan 27th, 2024 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 06:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
crikey, really don't exchange money (hard to imagine people still exchange money I haven't done it for tens of years now), just get it out of the free to use bank machines (advice is available on which ones to use). Take out very little and spend it or leave it at the border in those charity spheres you see.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

I am on a tour so most other aspects are covered. I wondered what I would need for food and other incidentals that might come up.
Thank you all for your insightful information. It is much appreciated!