Prague Black Light Theatre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an evening free in Prague and we have heard about "Black Light" theater performances. Has anyone seen them and, if so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Ogopogo
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 03:44 AM
DDA

We spent a week in Prague last Spring. Because our daughter and her boyfriend were with us, we decided to soak up some local culture rather than just go to dinner--our usual evening. The black light theater we saw was quite silly-sort of slapstick-then darkened, and the images and movement portion began-over and again. Our daughter, who is into theater hated it. It was somewhat interesting, but unless you have a lot of time to waste, i would skip it. It is a fairly new experience, and i sort of thought to myself that someone at some point just saw it as a possible new moneymaker for the tourist industry in Prague. The music in the cathedrals was certainly more enjoyable if you are deciding where to spend your money.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 04:46 AM

I didn't go when I was in Prague, but here are some tripadvisor reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Bohemia.html
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM

We enjoyed the Puppet show at the National Puppet Theater in Old Town. The show is about Mozart. We thought it was fun and different.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,

When we were in Prague about 5 years ago we went to a performance of something I remember being called the "black Theatre of Prague" and really enjoyed it. but I did notice that there were several with very similar names, so it might be difficult to pick the best one.

we went to a very good concert in the municipal hall, and saw that there were several concerts in churches advertised around the city, so you might want to fill your free evening there. you could also try the opera - tickets are much cheaper than you'd pay in London or Vienna.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the very helpful replies.

The National Marionette Theatre appealed to us rather than "Black Light"(many thanks for the recommendation Kwoo!). We booked our tickets in advance through the Prague Tourist Information office:

http://www.prague-information.eu/performances

and found them to be extemely helpful in answering our emailed questions very promptly. They accept most credit cards and will email the tickets to you (cost roughly $US30 a seat). The seating is non-reservation so they advise arriving 20 minutes before the performance for the best seats.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 01:51 AM

My husband and I went to Prague last September and it was beautiful. We decided to check out the black light theatre and went to watch Aspects of Alice. This show is close to Charles Bridge so it's quite a convenient location.

We absolutely loved it. Even now when we listen to the music, it takes us back to Prague. The composition is hauntingly beautiful, and I would go back even if it was just the music playing. We watched it on our last evening there and it was a wonderful end to our beautiful trip to Prague.

I highly recommend it!
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 02:41 AM

Hi pal,

I donť know if this is gonna help you, but I was recently on Magic Trip to Prague in Reduta Theatre. The performance is realy good. I wanted to go to Aspect of Alice, but it was much more expensive. Magic Trip is interesting multimedial show with projection, dance, pantomime and black light theatre.
So it is up to you. If you don't know, where to go, try this one.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:29 AM

I went the 1st time we were in Prague- I will say that I'm glad we went and I wouldn't go again.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:35 AM

I am a theatre nut, and think I love all forms of theatre. But the "mad scientist" themed blacklight show in Prague we saw was enjoyable for about 10 minutes. Then all the jokes and effects had been done and I couldn't wait for it to end.

But we LOVED the marionette shows (even if they do call them puppets). The full performance of Don Giovanni conducted by Mozart himself was simply wonderful.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:46 AM

I lived in Prague for a little bit, and I had to go back and look at my blog to remember whether I ever went to one of these (I did). So, I suppose that's how memorable it was. But on the other hand, at the time I did write that I enjoyed it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:50 AM

gwan, you're lucky. I can't seem to forget my experience at one!