Search

Prague - Auschwitz

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague - Auschwitz

Hello,

We will be in Prague for 4.5 days and would like to take a trip to see Auschwitz/krakow.

In the interest of saving time we were thinking of taking an overnight train or renting a car and driving, but we prefer the train.

Do people usually book for this in advance or do you just book an overnight train at the station? Where can I find more info on this?

Thanks,
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I thought you were going to Auschwitz while you are in Krakow. Have plans changed?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM

We did book our train tickets in advance from Prague to go to Krakow. That was in Oct 2003 but I'm not sure it was necessary to book in advance. Althought we did take the overnight train back to Prague - that might be necessary. At the time, I used an agency in Florida but I don't remember the name.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Plans changed yet again. Since we only have 4.5 Days the main goal is to see Auschwitz, the secondary goal is to see Krakow. Since most of the trains will go into Krakow, we think we can do both.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
ira

Hey bw,

Have you considered visiting Terezin from Prague instead of Auschwitz?

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

nope
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM

Hi bwhizz,

You can book the night train from Prague to Krakow in person at the train station Halvani Nadrazi (Metro Red Line, stop is halvani nadrazi, when you come out of the metro go upstairs and to the newly-built ticket counter area that is on the level BELOW Burger King). Line for tickets is the one on the most right inside this room. Line for domestic tickets (within Czech Republic) is on the left side of the room.

It is cheaper to buy the ticket in person than to buy it on Rail Europe or any other website. Be sure to get a single sleeper compartment and remember to tell the ticket agent at the counter that you want a Ticket + Reservation (unless if you have a CZ Rail Pass, then in that case you only need the Reservation). Usually the ticket agent will quote you the 2nd class price, but you could end up in a 6-person couchette, so make sure you tell them that you want Single Bed (or Double Bed in one compartment only). The ticket agent usually will not speak English well, so I advise you to research the time and date and train number you want in advance on Rail Europe website, write down the train/date/time you want, and just show it to the ticket agent. Some agents speak English but it's really better to write it down and show them which train you want.

Any questions please post.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Can a train ticket be purchased in another country? I.e Paris?
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

How do you say in Czech:

I want a private 1st class sleeper cabin for me and my wife (i.e. a cabin for both of us that is not shared with strangers)
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:12 PM

No, you cannot purchase in Paris a train ticket going from Prague to Krakow. It is not possible.

Best thing to do is go to Halvani Nadrazi the day before (or a couple days before) you plan to go to Krakow, and buy the tickets in person there.

You don't need to speak Czech, just write down what you want on a piece of paper. The agent may or may not speak English but the paper written with want you need will very likely help them.

Don't write in full sentences, they don't care and full sentences might confuse them.

-------------------
Prague - Krakow
Round trip / One - way (your choice)
1st class train
1 cabin, 2 beds.
2 people.
NO couchette. Only bed.
-------------------

Look up the time of the specific train you want on raileurope.com, write down the train number and the time of departure. Show it to the ticket agent.

That's all you need.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM

>> the paper written with want you need will very likely help them.

the paper written with what you need...