Prague 3 days Aug with family

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:22 AM
eds_hms

Prague 3 days Aug with family

Will be spending 3 days in Prague in mid August and I'm looking for advice on a hotel. My husband and 2 teenage daughters will be travelling with me. Will pay up to 200 Euros for location/room enough for 4. Have looked online but I'm not sure of the best section of the city to stay in. With only 3 days want to be close to things. Thnaks

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:22 AM
eds_hms

Thanks ..Ive just sent an inquiry e-mail. The apartments look nice. I am still trying to familiarize myself with the layout of the city and if this would be a good location. eds

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, anything that probably calls itself in the Old Town, Mala Strana or Josefov area would be fine. Look for the postal codes or district number of 1.

As far as I can tell, the above URL only has a couple apts. in Prague in Prague 6, west of the castle. I certainly would never stay there, it's pretty far out and will be convenient IMO. The website is rather optimistic by claiming it is 1.5 km from the castle (which is about a mile right there) and that it is only a 20 minute walk to Charles Bridge, which is much farther from the castle, and involves a hill that makes walking slower than you would on a flat surface (even when going down). They also claim it is only 15 minutes to the "center", which I wouldn't buy. Maybe by helicopter, but there isn't any way you are getting from that apt. door to Old Town square in a total of 15 minutes, assuming that means going to the tram stop which is around two blocks away, waiting, taking the tram down the hill and across the river, and the apt. isn't even in Prague 1 to begin with.

Well, that's my opinion. The apts. look nice enough -- new and modern, like a lot of what you'll find in Prague for rent to tourists.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:05 AM

you probably figured my post dropped... that I thought that location would be INconvenient, not convenient. Quite inconvenient, especially for first time visitors.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Just to add to Christina's comments. That "hill" (from the apt to Charles Bridge) is more like a mountain to those of us that live where it's flat. Definitely not something I'd want to tackle every day, much less several times a day. And it can get warm in Aug.

Also check out vrbo.com
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM

It looks to me like these apartments are in the Prague 6 area west of the castle near Brevnov monastery.

I've just returned from a visit to Prague, and found that area quite convenient. I think it's better for someone to stay a little out of the tourist area if they want to see the "real" Prague. Also, I felt quite safe in this area.

Brevnov Monastery is unbelievably gorgeous. They have a hotel there on site that my mother-in-law will be staying at in June. Google "Hotel Adalbert."

The tram ride is not so far (maybe 15 minutes), and you will see just as much of Prague this way.

In fact, I was disappointed by how touristy the center of Prague has gotten. I heard more English, German, and Spanish there than Czech. I had to go outside of the center to hear Czech. That's a first for me, having been to Prague for extended periods of time four times now.

My advice, take a chance on the west side of Prague. It's beautiful!
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM
eds_hms

Thanks everyone this information is helpful. Just talked to the travel agent and we are now departing aug 9 so will have 5 nights in Prague. These apts. are available for 87 euro /night and will sleep 4. is that a good rate, it seemed so for me but may make up for it in transportation. Glad we will be there over the weekend. any suggestions for concerts or open air concerts in parks. also any ideas on Guides for Prague, obviously Fodor. will order online as live in a small canadian town. eds

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:03 AM

eds_hms: This book is wonderful:
http://www.amazon.com/PRAGUE-Dorling.../dp/1564585034

I have kept mine from 1995.

If you have time, please check out Brevnov. It's really a beautiful magical place. (And they have a great restaurant there with reasonable prices called the Klasterni senk; full of locals with friendly staff and reasonable prices.)
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Ditto on the book in the post above. Good info & pics. Some info will be way dated, though, because Prague has chanced enormously since the 90's.

Other apartment websites:

www.travel.cz
www.marys.cz
www.a-prague.com
www.happyhouserentals.cz
www.homesweethome.cz
www.prague-apartments4u.com
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Let me retract my earlier statement about the Hotel Adalbert. My husband is there now, and the service is well below par. He's also having problems with basic cleanliness; the linens were not changed (someone else's hair), the carpets have not been vacuumed in some time, and no toiletries other than the previous guest's in the bathroom. And this is for 3600 KC a night!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Hi...thanks LadyBluffton for the info. Changed my screen name from eds..anyway I did book at the Kampa Gardens on Kampa Island as recommended by someone on a post. The location is good and apparently smoke free, although basic in decor. Just wondering if you have experience with classical music performances. for example a good venue and recommended musicians. interested in classical nature to the music.