Prague Neighborhoods

Search

Prague Neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague Neighborhoods

We are going to Prague in late Sept for 7 days. We always rent apartments in Europe and want to do the same in Prague.
Can anyone give any insight into neighborhoods? We like to stay near main areas but just a little away in a neighborhood.

PAYE
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM

I would suggest Mala Strana which is over the bridge on the castle side. We loved this area and stayed in a lovely pension called Pension Dietzenhoffer. This was a few years back but it is on a quiet cobblestone street near Kampa Park and within walking distance to most sites (Prague is relatively small and very walkable). This neighborhoos was very quaint.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Indeed, Mala Strana may be your best choice -- central but "just a little away".

If, however, you choose to stay on the other side of the river, avoid the Wenceslas Square area: sex shows, hookers, "stag parties", yadda, yadda.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Check out these site for apts by neighborhood:

http://www.abaka.com/Czech/Praha.html

http://www.livingprague.com/hotel.htm

Basically, Prague 1 covers Old Town, Mala Strana, and Wenceslas Square/New Town. Prague 2 is Vinohrady (beautiful residential area), and Prague 3 is the gentrified Zizkov area, with a mixture of working class and artsy neighborhoods.

Sounds like Vinohrady may be the place for you, since you can walk to Wenceslas Square area,if you want, and/or take public transit (which would be metro or tram in that area). Mala Strana is also beautiful, and can be a bit off the beaten path, depending where you stay.

There are tons of apartment rental sites, so see which areas you like, and post back if you want some more ideas on rentals (I've rented about 8 apts in Prague, and have used a lot of different agencies)
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to book accommodation for early May.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM

http://www.arcadiaoldtown.com/

For an idea, above has a Mala Strana apartment Vlasska. Very good location I'd like to try once. ( I have been to Prague 6 times in last 1 year and stayed 5 times in Mala Strana). Kozna one just off the Old Town Square looks nice too. They are managed by Pasquale of Hotel Arcadia Residence which is one the top rated on Tripadvisor.com
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mala Strana for me too. If you clck on my name back a few months is a visit report with some ideas (reading it again it seems to be foof focused)
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:16 AM

PAYE thanks for asking about this. We (2 couples) are just starting to plan our trip to Prague and we have A LOT of research to do! With that said I certainly don't expect anyone here to know exactly what we want for accommodation, but we if we usually stay in the Marias in Paris, which neighborhood would you suggest we start to look for a hotel in Prague?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:13 AM

If you like the Marais, I think you will like Mala Strana in Prague.

Both very centrally located, but with loads of charm and reasonably close to sights without being too "loud" and in the "action."

You would probably also be happy in the Old Town, but far enough away from the main square so you aren't bothered by the hordes of tourists trekking between the bridge and the clock tower. I don't think I'd want to stay on that main "drag" so to speak, but if you get a few blocks back into the Old Town, near the Josefov area, it's quieter.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Here is an apartment option right in smack in the middle of the tourist area (midway between Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge) but on a quieter side street. Highly recommended - we loved it.

http://www.7angels.cz/

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks for your replies, you have given me a great place to start!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 05:36 PM

We stayed in the Josefov area and loved it. The art-nouveau architecture is not to be missed.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

We are staying with Pasquale at Vlaaska Apartments in May. We booked with him after much research.