Posting An Apartment Review, Good or Bad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this has already been suggested, but I would recommend that when reviewing a rental apartment, that you post with the apartments complete address as the heading. That way it would be so easy for others to to locate it in a search.

A lot of posters only mention the company, ie: VRBO, Parisperfect, etc..in the body of their trip report, only giving the approx, location or the listing number.

In addition to my trip report in October, I will do a separate post just on the apartment.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Nina
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM

Nina66: I would suggest that you post your apartment review on www.slowtrav.com and link to it in your Fodor's trip report.

Your review is likely to reach more people at SlowTrav, which specializes in information for people who want longer-term accommodations like apartments.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

The same heading suggestion would apply when you are seeking info on a specific apartment. Then all of the posts would be available in the same seach.

Nina
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, good suggestion, but a lot of people don't know about or use SlowTrav, and come here exclusively for all or initial info.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:42 PM

Hi Nina66,

I think this is a good idea. I was wondering if maybe we could just start a thread where people could post their apartment reviews. I've only stayed in a couple apartments, but I'd be happy to list the info in one place. I'm sure I listed the info somewhere on this site, but it would be convenient to have it all in one place.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM

I agree that the address of the apt is critical - and a web link is most useful also. I too prefer the apt reviews on slowtrav.com. They are terribly slow posting them, but I think it is by far the best site. On here people are most likely to do a search by the street name or the rental agent, so be sure to include those.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:52 PM

I don't think the address in the title is necessary (as the search works within the post), but can't hurt. I agree the URL would be nice, and the agency name, and as much of address as possible.

I've also noticed a lot of people don't give very specific info on their apartment in their trip reports and think it's definitely nice to have more. An ideal "review" would also mention important things like price (which very few people mention, I've noticed), deposit/prepayment requirements, size and number of rooms, etc.

I don't read slowtrav much, the few times I've gone there is just didn't have much I was interested in, and one only has so much time, so I think it's good to do it on here where a lot more people post.

I don't think one thread on apt. reviews would work very well -- it would be too big and hard to find anything in if it covered any apartment in Europe. Besides, you could never regulate it so that people only posted reviews on that post (in fact, no one might know about it if they didn't frequent Fodors a lot), so the reviews would be all over, anyway.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM

I agree that Slowtrav is the best site for apartment/vacation rental reviews....very user friendly, if that's what you are looking for. It certainly is easy enough, when researching apartments, to go to that site.
Having to depend on the search feature here is difficult, at best.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

I agree with a lot of the above suggestions, especially about prices, deposits etc. People tend to skip over a lot of that in their trip reports, ie: 'our apartment in the 5th was conveniently located with a nice view' ... type of thing.

Slowtrav doesn't have many reviews (yet) for Paris. I did contact a few, but they weren't available for our dates. It is a valuable site and I will continue to check it when I'm looking for a place.

One of the reasons that I suggested giving the entire address in the heading, is that few trip reports contain the street address, many only give the arrondisment or the street name. Therefore a search only comes up with the street name and no way of telling if it is 'your' apartment.

You can't have too many resources.

Nina