Reload this Page >

Post-trip - depression setting in

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Teresa

I just got back Saturday from my two week trip to London and Paris and already the post-trip depression is setting in. The months of planning and anticipation were well rewarded, but I can't help but think of all the things I didn't have time for and wish I could go back next week. Instead of writing about what I did see, here's what I didn't have time for on this trip:<BR><BR>What I missed in London:<BR>Hampton Court and Kew Gardens<BR>The Globe Theater<BR>The London Eye<BR>eating fish and chips<BR>Original London Walks Tour<BR>Neal's Yard Dairy<BR><BR>And in Paris:<BR>Giverny<BR>eating a crepe<BR>Eating oysters - okay - I was a bit leary, so I didn't try them. Hate to get sick on a trip <BR>A Seine cruise<BR>the catacombs<BR>The Picasso Museum<BR>exploring the Latin Quarter<BR>I didn't get enough croissants, but I tried<BR><BR>What did you NOT see and wish you had on your last trip?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Vita

I hear ya, Teresa! I got back from a trip to London a couple of weeks ago, and I keep thinking of all the stuff I wanted to do and the stuff I want to go back and do again. But we can't do it all. There's always next time. Now get back on that horse, and start planning your next itinerary!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Margie

Yes, indeed, there is ALWAYS next time! I usually feel fine after I get home, then, just when I think it’s too late to be depressed, it hits me, 3 or even 4 weeks after I’m home. It is, I fear, inevitable and part of the overall equation. The best therapy I’ve found is to keep notes of my trip and then, when the melancholy sets in, to retrieve the notes and go to work on an in-depth trip journal. It helps relieve the despondency plus leaves me with comprehensive coverage which I can pick up years later and be transformed instantly to the bygone time. Very therapeutic, + my friends and family really enjoy reading the stuff.<BR><BR>I’ve also been fortunate enough to make friends in my travels so I write and sometimes even call them, on a fairly regular basis and that helps too.<BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:55 AM
bj

Never eat oysters in months that do not have an "r" in their spelling. You probably made the right choice about that since it looks like you were there in May? No "R" in May.<BR><BR>Glad you had a good time but I know just how you feel. There is just never enough time for vacations!!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Karen

Whoa! I read this post with a heavy heart. Is your cup half empty or half full? Think of all the wonderful experiences you DID have Teresa and look forward to your next trip.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Van

I know carrying a video camera is cumbersome and identifies you as a tourist, but I always try to shoot sufficient video on our trips so we can re-live the trip when the depression hits.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Howard

This is when the multitude of photographs taken on the trip come in handy. We returned from Paris on May 21. Today, almost a month later, thanks to looking at the pictures with some regularity (say, every other day or so), the high from the experience has not gone away yet! So much so, in fact, that I cannot get worked up in any way about a potential trip to Italy in four months!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Teresa

The 21 rolls of film are due back tomorrow and I can't wait to see them. From my Italy trip last year, I remembered to not only take photos but to collect and save other mementos for the scrapbook (napkins, stubs, etc) I pour over those photos often and even blew up several to 8x10 size for my walls. We also bought the kids cd's of British and French rock stars so we can listen to the music at home. <BR><BR>Re: planning for next trip...to be honest, the last two trips were great but then I get home and think "next year, the beach!" because it is much easier to plan. Don't get me wrong...come December or January, I will be thinking "Amalfi coast, Provence, Greek Isles?" necause a beach vacatio will just seem too milk toast compared to all the travel opps our there.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Teresa

The 21 rolls of film are due back tomorrow and I can't wait to see them. From my Italy trip last year, I remembered to not only take photos but to collect and save other mementos for the scrapbook (napkins, stubs, etc) I pour over those photos often and even blew up several to 8x10 size for my walls. We also bought the kids cd's of British and French rock stars so we can listen to the music at home. <BR><BR>Re: planning for next trip...to be honest, the last two trips were great but then I get home and think "next year, the beach!" because it is much easier to plan. Don't get me wrong...come December or January, I will be thinking "Amalfi coast, Provence, Greek Isles?" because a beach vacation will just seem too milk toast compared to all the travel opps our there.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:04 AM
me

Howard, we just got back from our trip to Paris on May 21 and I'm feeling blue too. I feel like my brain is still processing all that we saw and experienced (it was our first trip). In some ways, I wouldn't mind going back on my own (sorry, travel partner--my bf has a tough time being flexible). I'm thinking next time Italy. <BR><BR>I did put my photos in an album, which is great to look at. I do think it probably will be a couple of years until the next trip. Sigh.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Lizbeth

Teresa,<BR>On a recent trip to Austria the weather was much hotter than anticipated and I just was too wiped out by the heat to do and see everything on my "must" list. I had to choose just one or a few things each day to see and do, and I really appreciated those events more for having done so. As for the rest, I kept imagining Vienna in winter and consoling myself with the thought that next time I'll see the sights when there is a light dusting of snow upon them!