Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just curious...how much time am I looking at on the plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Derek

First I have a plane flight from Phoenix to Phillidalphia (3 hour layover there =(). Then I am flying direct to Madrid. Could anyone estimate the time it would take on the plane? Thanks!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Jennifer

I do know that from Detroit to Amsterdam is 8 hours, so very, very roughly, I'll guess yours to be 7-9 hours.<BR><BR>Did your airline give you an itinerary? Northwest always tells me how long each flight is. If you ask them, they will know.<BR><BR>Jennifer<BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:17 AM
lucky

Did you pass math in school. Compute the time between departure from PHL and arrival in Madrid and net out the time differencial. Just a quick and dirty questimate would be 7 hours outbound with a tail wind..8 hours inbound with a head wind.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Derek

Yes jackass I did pass math, but how would I know the time if I have never flown to Europe and my itinerary doesn't say a time? Keep your bitchy opinions away because obviously you are an anal person.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Domino

<BR><BR>Why such hostility, Derek? Did the airline not tell you what time they expected to put you on the ground in Madrid? And, I assume, you know what time you'll be taking off from Phoenix. And most people, above the age of 8, know that Europe is 5 to 6 hours ahead, or if one missed that day in school, there are a number of sources to check. With these three little pieces of information, one would assume that you could have figured this little brain teaser on your own.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Red

And so welcome to the forum Derek. You've been initiated. <BR><BR>Harmless question = barrage of abuse<BR><BR>It's a long freakin' flight but not as bad as if you were flying direct from Phoenix.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:03 AM
xxx

Well, your ticket must have departure and arrival times, shouldn't it? Philadelphia is what, eastern time? That means that in Madrid it is 6 hours later.<BR><BR>When going to Europe, just take the time difference between departure and arrival times, which should be something like leaving at 6pm, arriving at 7am the next day. That is 13 hours, and substract the zone time difference (that is 6 hours) so the flight lasts 7 hours.<BR><BR>Coming back, you just add instead of substract.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:12 AM
John

Your nonstop from PHL to MAD is listed as 7:40, so 5+3+8 (rounded) = 16 hours in transit. Six hours ahead of EDT.<BR><BR>Add an hour to each leg for the westbound trip due to prevailing headwinds.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:28 AM
bettyk

16 hours from the East Coast to Madrid? Is that what you are saying, John??? That's some crazy math!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Math Teacher

<BR><BR>Apparently, some of you should have spent a little more time at the chalk board!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:39 AM
John

Bettyk, nooo... the first 5 hours plus layover are to get to the Madrid flight. Derek is starting in Phoenix. <BR><BR>I can do the math. Can you do the reading?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Jennifer

John,<BR><BR>I'm a bit confused. How do you get 16 hours of transit time?<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:46 AM
John

Please read Derek's post. He's flying from Phoenix to PHL, around 5 hours. He's laying over at PHL for 3 hours. Then he's flying to Madrid, around 8 hours. Add it up.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Jennifer

Now, I see. Derek's question was how long he would spend on the plane, but you added in his layover (on the ground), as well. That's why it was confusing!<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:11 AM
bettyk

I guess I'm not the only one who has a reading problem, eh John?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Me

Betty - <BR><BR>John gave him the 8 hour flight time as one part of his answer. Quit while you're behind.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:28 AM
kay

Derek, Sorry for the unpleasant tone of some of these posts, but you should easily have found your answer by checking schedules on the airline's website, using Phoenix as your starting point and Madrid as your desitnation. (or if you are using Southwest for Phoenix to Philadelphia, then use PHL-MAD for your query). When you see your flights listed, then click for details. I've seen such information on all airline websites I've used. Buen viaje.