Positano - Poseidon or Hotel Franca?

Aug 24th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Positano - Poseidon or Hotel Franca?

I'm trying to choose beteween the Poseidon Hotel and the Hotel Franca?

Does anyone have any insight?

Also, does anyone have any specific suggestions for the type of room I should request at either of these hotels?

Is there a particular type of room, view, floor, etc that I should ask for?

also, does anyone have a sense for recent price information for these hotels?

thanks!
Aug 24th, 2003, 07:44 PM

I just got back from Positano last Sunday.

I know you asked about the Poseidon and the franca, but DH and I stayed at the Buca Di Bacco and LOVED it. I think their rates were $220 for a standard ocean front room with a terrace.

Enjoy Positano! It is now my favorite place in the world!
Aug 25th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Does anyone have an opinion about these 2 though?
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM

I loved the Hotel Villa Franca, the rooms are tiled in white with blue designs and the french doors open to little terraces with breath taking views. And the public areas such as the breakfast terrace and the dining room are first rate too. The breakfast buffet is delicious and has meat and just about everything you could want.

It is high in the town itself so you have good view of the city lights at night and this may be the only drawback for some in that they have to walk down into town (not that far) or take a bus which stops just outside or the hotel's shuttle.

I would stay there again and again and again.....
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Hotel Poseidon tops my short list of favorite hotels. We stayed in #56,(two years ago) a jr. suite with a beautiful terrace that offered sweeping views of Positano. What I love about this hotel is that it's very small, and because of that, you're treated like a cherished house guest. The staff could not do enough for us while we were there-- requests from simple reservations to using their computer late at night were met with graciousness and pleasure.
We returned there this summer, not to stay, but just to eat at the restaurant, (which undoubtedly has some of the best food we've ever had in Italy) and the manager actually remembered us, and gave us free drinks. It's that kind of attention that makes a stay memorable.

Have a great time!
Aug 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM

We stayed at Villa Franca in April 2001, and liked it very much. I agree with everything Natalia said. The only negative was that our bathroom was microscopic - I couldn't turn around without knocking over soap, shampoo, razor, toothpaste, or some other toiletry...and no, I'm not obese ;-).

But to me, the size of the bathroom was not all that important. The restaurant was very good, and I remember the staff being especially friendly and helpful.
If you choose this hotel, specify the main building, and not the annex across the street...unless spectacular views of the cliffs and clear blue waters are unimportant to you.
Have a great trip!
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Hi ...I just got back from Italy on Sunday and I stayed at the Posideon in Positano for 4 nights. The hotel is nice, it has a pool which is an absolute must have! Rooms were standard with Terraces but the best part were the people...really, really great. I can't say enough about. After Positano we went to Capri and stayed at the Quisisana which was great but the people could not hold a candle to the Posideon...have a great trip!
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I stayed at the Poseidon about a year ago and was very happy with the hotel.

I had a very large double room with a great bathroom with a big terrace that faced the water and the town. Amazing views! To access the beach you had to walk down a ton of stairs, however, the stairs were only about 20 meters from the hotel. I believe I paid around 200 Euro for a double room/single use.

Breakfast was great; I was there during cherry season so we had mountains of cherries available for breakfast everyday. I also used the spa services, which had great prices compared to the East Coast of the US.

My only problem with the hotel was that a couple of employees had such limited English that they could not explain to me where to catch the bus, however, I speak virtually no Italian so I was not exactly helpful either.