Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Positano Hotel - Marincanto or Palazzo Murat

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.....I have narrowed my hotel choices in Positano to the Marincanto and Palazzo Murat. They both get great reviews in Tripadvisor.

If anyone has experience at both hotels, or can add their opinions, comments, etc, regarding their own experience, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM
JRM

Hello,

My wife and I stayed at the Murat several in the spring three years ago. The Hotel is an old restored villa with very nice details. Our room was simple with a very high ceiling(15' ?) with a huge antique wooden door. The staff was very nice as I recall. We ate one night outside and enjoyed a very nice, well served meal. One of the guests there was Sarah Jessica Parker from the popular TV show. She was with her family and was very discrete. I would stay there again if I returned to Positano. Also, I want to suggest a small trattoria in Montepertuso, a village above Positano. It is 15 minutes away on the side of the mountain above.........La Tagliata. Not to be missed.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi JRM,

Thanks so much for the reply.

If the Murat is good enough for Sarah Jessica Parker, its good enough for me. Actually, I keep going back and forth between the two hotels. I know the Murat is closer to restaurants, etc, but the Marincanto is higher up with better views.

I will definitely look into the restaurant you mentioned, La Tagliata.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM

I stayed at the Marincanto in a superior room at the end of May. Fantastic views that you will not get at the Murat. New pool, great staff. Highly recommend it.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Weekender.....Thanks so much.

I am leaning towards the Marincanto.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM

I am staying at the Marincanto in Septemeber and could give you a review after I've stayed there. I picked it for the views and reviews. And when I was trying to book a specific room and had issues with their website, I contacted them directly and couldn't have asked for better service. All questions were answered promptly via email and they were able to accomodate my requests.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Chazzarelli,

I am leaning towards the Marincanto. What bothers me is that if you read guide books, Fodors, Frommers, etc....they seem to love the Murat, but don't even mention the Marincanto.

I guess we need to go by the people in these Forums, who have been there, and share their own experiences.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:52 AM

I dont think you can do wrong with either place. No matter if you're reading a guide or here, you are going on someone else's opinion. It's hard to go on others reviews as well, since they may not have the same tastes, or agenda's you have. I like to ask around, see what others say, but in the end I go with my gut which I feel is best for me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy both places. When are you going?