easyjet baggage weight restrictions?

Aug 24th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

easyjet baggage weight restrictions?

Well I have packed our bags, removed a third of what I originally planned to take along, but I'm worried that my bag will be over our free allowance for our easyjey flight.
I've printed out their policies, read them carefully, done the weight and size conversions and I am troubled. I don't have a scale but I bet my 25" roller bag is close to 20kgs(44lbs)already and I haven't even started to shop yet. We have always stashed a folded duffle bag in our luggage for carry on for the trip home but their carry on limit is only 5kgs.(11lbs.).
I guess as I am putting this in words I'm accepting that we will probably get hit for an additional cost of $50. to $80. for travel.
My questions are:
Can you check more than one bag? I can accept the $$$hit, but I don't want to be told we have to repack into one checked bag each when we're standing at the check-in counter.
They offer a free allowance of 10kgs. per passenger for sports equipment...Do you think they would consider our athletic shoes and fowl(sp?) weather jackets as sports equipment?
By the way, my husband fiinnaally looked over our itinerary for our trip(we leave next week)and he was slightly amazed at the less than desirable dilemae that we hope to avoid by the info that I've gleened from the net(mainly YOU). Again I thank you for sharing your experience.
Sincerely, Emily

Aug 24th, 2003, 06:56 PM

I just flew Virgin Express from Amsterdam to Rome. I checked in right next to the Easy Jet desk, and they had a carry on measuring device with a SCALE so you could weigh your bag!!! Can we say anal? We were laughing pretty hard, and discovered that the scale was tipped in their favor. When I weighed my bag at the Virgin counter, it came in 3 kgs lighter than on the Easy Jet scale! Anyway, I think you can check extra bags, but it will certainly cost you. Just email the airline & get an answer in writing. The 5kgs carry on seems pretty strict, so don't mess with that. Just play around with organizing your suitcases, and check with Easy Jet about adding a duffel bag to your checked bags. Good luck.
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:07 PM

We flew with ryanair that has similar restictions, I bought a sports bag with wheels it weighs a lot less than a roll on bag & you will be surprised how much you can take, when I pack I roll up everything & it does not crease, we wore our heaviest clothes & shoes , I bought my roller bag from Target $25. & its very easy to handle.
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Intrepid

"Anal" or not, this is probably a major "revenue center" particularly for these two airlines so I think you're best move is to use the very lightest bag you can and do wear your heaviest clothing..as all the fashion mavens on this board keep saying like a broken record, "wear layers" (duh!!!!)...and I think the "sports bag" is a GREAT idea...I am sure YOU will be allowed to define what you consider sports equipment and if that is a pair of athletic shoes then so be it....22# each can mean a great difference. Hope it works out.

Aug 25th, 2003, 03:09 AM

Sports equipment: skis, surfboards etc. Not sportswear. THEY decide what is considered sports equipment.

Easyjet are very strict on weight - for hold baggage anyway (and sometimes for carry-on). It's what you get for flying with a budget airline - although most flights originating in Europe are quite strict.

-- Viola
Aug 25th, 2003, 04:38 AM

On the other hand, you could just chance it. I've flown Easyjet a number of times and never been charged for excess - the only time I have been was when I flew with Buzz who are now part of - you guessed it - Ryanair, who's policy is basically that if it's not in your main bag they charge for it.
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Don't you have any kind of a scale at home to get an idea of weight? I just bet it does not weigh as much as you think. I last took a 25" roller suitcase which was packed very full and heavy (ie, including lots of shoes and about 5 books) and it only weighed 35 pounds total at check-in. 45 pounds is an awful lot.

I also think Viola is right in that YOU are not going to be able to define sports equipment and that allowance is not in any way meant to cover clothing or any bag you want to call sports equipement.
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Christina, No , I don't own a scale, but I'm going to my sister's and I'll use hers. I was trying to compare the weight with a 37 lb. bag of dogfood but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
There is a bit of leftover room in our bags. This is the lightest I've ever packed before(I'm so proud). If you had 5 books than we should be okay. I'm planning on leaving my Eyewitness Travel Guide at home since it weighs too much.
I liked the idea of wearing as much as you need to from the other poster. If we have too much shopping success in Scotland we may look as round as snowmen boarding the Easyjet flight LOL.
Thanks,
Emily