Reload this Page >

Positano-Pompei day-trip options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:54 AM
Tim

We're staying in Positano for a week next month and would like to visit Pompei.<BR><BR>The limo services seem very expensive, and I'm wondering if there are organized excursions there by coach, or how difficult it is to get there by public transport?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Vincenzo

Public transport is easy and cheap.<BR>Bus from Positano to Meta di Sorrento, then Circumvesuviana from Meta di Sorrento to Pompei Scavi.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:57 PM
kiki

Hi Tim,<BR><BR>If you are arriving via Naples, you may want to incorporate your trip to Pompeii on the way to Positano. We hired a car service that picked us up in Naples, then drove to Herculeanum (they can easily bring you to Pompeii instead which is close by), dropped us off for 2 hours and waited for us and had our luggage in their new Mercedes, and then went to Positano. I strongly suggest this b/c then you don't have to backtrack during your week. Instead, you can spend more time in Capri or visiting Ravello. I wrote up my tips from my April trip on fodors.com, and you can see it by typing in "kiki" to the search box.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:46 PM
eric

Tim,<BR>where are you staying in Positano?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Steve James

Hello Tim,<BR><BR>As Vincenzo says, it's very easy by public transport.<BR><BR>If you prefer a guided coach excursion, there are companies in Amalfi which offer this tourBR><BR>www.goldenland.it/escursioni.htm<BR>www.touringpoint.it<BR><BR>I imagine they would pick up in Positano en route to Pompei.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Dawn

I was just in Positano a few days ago and I totally agree with Vincenzo who suggested public transportation. Go to the tobacco shop in the central shopping area and buy a SITA bus ticket in advance for 1,19 Euro. If you ask around everyone will be able to tell you the appropriate tobacco shop. The bus to Sorrento runs about every hour. I took the 8:45 AM bus and then next one was at 10:15 or so. All hotels will have an up to date schedule. The bus takes about 45 minutes to Sorrento. Then buy a ticket on the Circumvesuvia train to Pompeii Scavi, which is around 2 Euro. Trains are constantly leaving so usually no wait. The train to Pompeii takes about 30 minutes.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Tim

We've decided to go by bus and train. But you seem to be suggesting different things. Do we catch the train from Meta di Sorrento or from Sorrento? <BR><BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Steve James

Tim - Catch the train from META, as Vincenzo says.<BR><BR>(Catching it from Sorrento is a waste of time, and effectively adds 30 mins. to your journey).<BR> <BR>The railway station is 300m from the piazza in Meta where the bus stops.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve <BR>