Positano or Sorrento

Jan 18th, 2015, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Positano or Sorrento

Hi

I will be going to the Amalfi coast with 2 other friend in mid June.

I am very confused between Positano and Sorrento as the base town.

We are not looking to visit Pompeii and versuvius. Mostly interested in relaxing, swimming, boat tours, a day trip to Capri and really good food and wine. Also, looking to hike along the path of gods.

We are also planning a budgeted trip, hence not looking for anything too expensive.

Have a flight at 1130 am from Naples airport, will booking a taxi early morning work(keeping any traffic in mind)?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 18th, 2015, 03:17 AM

I would say that if you're not visiting Pompeii or Vesuvius, you should stay on the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast, although it's near. On the other hand, it will take longer to get to Naples airport in time for your 11:30 AM flight from Positano than from Sorrento. I would first check with the transfer service to see how early they recommend leaving for an international flight at 11:30 AM. They are much more expert in the traffic conditions than any of us.
Jan 18th, 2015, 03:59 AM

Regardless of transfers, the best spot for the AC is Positano if you're not going to Pompeii or Vesuvius. However, in comparison to Sorrento, Positano is more expensive and the activities you mention can be done from either place except the POG which is much more easily done from Positano.

It depends on your budget in the end to search for the accommodation that suits your pockets, but you really need to get on this now as you may already struggle to find accommodation at the lower end of the scale.

Depending on the length of your stay, an apartment may be better than a hotel when shared between three of you.
Jan 18th, 2015, 04:42 AM

If you are not interested in Roman ruins (amazed!) or Naples then Positano - a much smaller town down the coast - is probably a better idea. Just be aware it's cut into the side of a cliff, vertical with many steps to get places - and as a resort can be very expansive (fewer choices of hotels and restaurants, but there are some budget places).

Agree that for June you need to start picking places now or you may find yourself shut out of a budget price range.'

And do check the frequency of ferries to and fro Capri.
Jan 18th, 2015, 04:54 AM

I am one who usually advises Sorrento but for what you list I would also say Positano is a better base as long as you can afford it. Go to the booking sites (booking,com, venere.com) and find a hotel you can afford. Sorrento has more choice of less expensive lodgings but it makes hiking the Path of the Gods more complicated and a longer day.

If you can find lodging that you like in Positano then your only problem is getting to the airport. If you can't afford a driver then you could consider spending the night before in Naples.