Positano Hotels!! Please need HELP!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have reservations at two hotels in Positano for 3 nights in September. Palazzo Murat and The Poseidon. Both 4 star and about 330 euro!!! A little pricey so I want to make a good choice in location and quality? I have read many good reviews on both, in travel books and tripadvisor.com I would really like to get some fodors reviews! Even if you haven't stayed there but may have gone for drinks or peared in. In your opinion location etc. Thank you in advance. We need to cancel one or the other by Aug. 30th
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:47 AM

That is tough--as you know. Both are excellent hotels. I would choose the Murat since is lower on the hill and in the middle of the village.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Haven't stayed at either. But the Murat has a lovely garden restaurant where we ate dinner twice while we were in Positano a few years ago. Lobby and common rooms were lovely. Good location between the beach area and the main road above. Have a great time.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM

We've stayed twice at The Poseidon, and I have probably recommended it ad nauseum here on the forum. I can't help myself-- it's THAT good.

My only advice would be to make sure that you are getting a room with a view over town. Some of the rooms look to the back of the hotel, and are quite small. The ones facing front seem to be larger.

This hotel has some of the best service and food ( !!) we've ever had in Italy. It is an uphill climb from town, but because of that you can, a: eat a lot more, and, b: relish the views that sweep over the houses all the way down to the town beach.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the input!! hope to get some more feedback. Just to add we will be getting a room at the Murat in the new wing I guess. It's a garden view though. I guess in Positano a sea view is a must.It is mostly booked the 3 days we are there Sep. 28-1st. We really wanted to stay at the Baco di barrco. Thanks again
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Hi sherristieg, My son had a room booked in the new wing at the Murat for my daughters wedding. It was a lovely room! Beautiful patio with blooming flowers everywhere. His patio was pretty big, so ask to see a couple of rooms. It was an excellent room. We had several rooms booked there(most of the wedding party) and so did the grooms family and EVERYONE was very happy there. This was my 4th trip to Positano in 8 years and I felt it was the best choice for the wedding guests. Of course, I trusted them with my daughter's wedding. The garden restaurant is so lovely there and the Murat is central to everything. Positano is a lot about the view, but it is also about location too. The Murat is in a perfect location. Arrange to have refreshments, lunch, or a very romantic and (expensive )dinner at Le Sirenuse and enjoy the view there. The Murat also has a boat, so be sure to take advantage of that. You might want to try to book it in advance. You will get great views from the boat ride. And of course, you are practically on the beach at the Murat, so all you have to do is walk a few steps and look up! While I am a huge fan of Le Sirenuse, it has gotten way too expensive (especially in high season.) I think you will love Palazzo Murat!

Have a great trip! WT
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When we were in Positano last month, we met several people who were staying at the Murat and they (separately) raved about it. It is located on the pedestrian path half-way between the beach and the town "square" where the street is located. In other words, right in the middle of everything. We walked through the outdoor garden (beautiful) and peaked inside. It was fabulous.

We also took a walk way up the hill to see the Poseidon, which can be reached from the sea either by walking up a zillion flight of stairs or walking up the pedestrian path past the Murat to the main street, then up a long hill. Alternatively, from the main street, you can take the bus from the square, but it goes in the opposite direction (1 euro), but goes up to the top of Positano, then back down the side of the hill where the Poseidon is located. While there are some fabulous restaurants up there, along with other hotels, if you want to spend the evening down at the beach at the myriad of restaurants and bars down there, I would say the Murat should be your first choice. Another thing: the buses do not run really late at night, so you may end up, if you're at the beach (say having drinks at Tre Sorelle or Buca di Bacco), and have to walk back there, it might be a real trek for you.

Finally, on views, and this is my own opinion: I love views (and indeed, we had a great view in our hotel), but all you need to do is walk outside the hotel, and you have all the views you could ever hope for free. How much time does one really spend in a hotel room anyway? The whole town is a view.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Are there no taxis available in Positano? We are leaving in 2 weeks, and I seem to keep reading about long up hill hikes and bus rides, but no taxis. Are taxis unavailable to take folks to the Poseidon, Sineneuse, or restaurants at the top of the town?
thanks
debbie
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Debbie,

Positano is postage-stamp sized. Really no need for taxis unless you are going to some of the restaurants in Montepertuso, or along the coast. Taxis are called as needed.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There are taxis, but you have to call them (or have the hotel call them). They won't be able to get you up and down from the main road to the beach, since there's no road for vehicles (other than golf cart size ones for porters).

A number of the restaurants located up the hill will have a taxi (they use as part of their service) drive you up to the restaurant then back to your hotel. One such company uses the back of the interno Positano bus ticket for advertising.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:00 AM

My husband and I spent 3 nights in Positano at the Poseidon...I thought the room could have been nicer for the money.Yes, we had a lovely view and the staff was very nice and helpful. We walked by the Murat and it looked lovely - made a mental note to myself that next time that's where we'd stay. A couple of asides - taxis are not needed (unless you can't handle stairs), there are stairs that will get you directly up and down the hills, and the town is very small we felt that 3 nights was too much. you really can see the whole town in a day. We ended up taking a boat down the coast to Amalfi and also went up (from Amalfi) to Ravello - would suggest that if you discover you've explored all of Positano pretty quickly. Took the hydrofoil to Capri from Positano and spent a couple of nights there - well worth it! Good luck
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM

My husband and I stayed at The Poseidon on our honeymoon in July 2002. We loved the hotel, beautiful view from our balcony. They area where you have breakfast is wonderful, along with the pool area. I would highly recommend the Poseidon.
I can not comment on Palazzo Murat, I've never been there.