Search

Positano hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano hotels

Can anyone recommend where to stay in positano with a family of 4 for 3 nights?
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Villa Rosa in Positano is fab with huge balconey.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Another recommendation for Villa Rosa! www.villarosapositano.com
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I also recommend Villa Rosa. Two other great places to look into are Villa Gabrisa and Hotel Vittoria. I stayed at Villa Gabrisa recently and was really impressed with the size of the rooms and the incredible view from the balconies.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Try Residence Gabrisa. They have an apartment type room that will accommodate 4 or 5. I haven't seen it, but it looks great on their web site and some of my family have booked it for next June. If their are young children, the steps just might get to be a problem at Villa Rosa.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! How about Capri? Should I stop there for a day or spend a couple of nights there?
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 11:49 AM

If you are curious about Capri, I would definitely go there for a couple of nights. I have been to Positano (witout kids) and then to Capri (with 2 kids under 10 years old) and loved both in different ways. Capri is absolutely perfect with kids because there are no cars allowed beyond a certain point and the kids were old enough to roam around on their own and enjoy all the action, cats hanging around, stores, etc. (I don't know how old your kids are.) The problem with making it just a day trip is you'll be stuck with all the tour groups and huge numbers of day trippers and won't enjoy the actual charm of the island as much. In the early evening when all the tour groups leave, the town lights up and you'll see the fashionable and beautiful people just strolling around. At least this is what we noticed last July. During the day we stayed at our beautiful hotel Villa Brunella and enjoyed the pool or would go down the hill to the sea, rent some chairs (no beach, very rocky and unique). The kids absolutely loved climbing the rocks that jetted into the sea down by the water and jumping into the frigid sea. Villa Brunella has a few Suites that have a sofa plus they bring in a cot for the 4th person. It's not cheap but the view on the terrace was one of the most spectacular views I've had (rivals the view at Villa Franca in Positano). I don't think the rooms at Villa Franca in Positano are big enough to accomodate 4 people, though. With a family of four, I would probably get a place closer to the beach area (and action), and definitely with a pool. But if you want a place a bit removed but still close enough to walk everywhere Villa Franca is charming.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:08 PM

Breathe,

Positano is one of my favorite places on Earth, but I don't think of it as a good destination with kids. The reason is that the town seems geared more for honeymooners and couples than for families with kids of almost any age. Between the tons of stairs back and forth to town, and the limited nightlife, you can see why this might not be your best choice.

Have you considered Sorrento? Its got flatter streets, wonderful restaurants, a wider range of hotels,internet cafes, and excellent transportation connections to most of the places you may want to see ( Naples, Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii). Yes, it's more Americanized than Positano, and yes, it's not nearly as spectacular, but it is much easier with kids. I know. I was there in July.

I was also in Capri with my kids, but since none of us are big fans of Capri, I'll keep those thoughts to myself unless you really need to hear them.

Good luck with your choice!

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Maggy. Great info. Maybe I wil skip Poitano, or just do a day trip there. Weadles, please tell me your experience with Capri. I like hearing what people don't like as much as I do hearing what they do like. All so that I can make an informed decision. Thank you