positano hotel advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
positano hotel advice

Author: bwade
Date: 01/14/2005, 03:44 am

husband and I want a room with a view and a nice pool.. budget 300 euro per night

some stay the stairs are no problem others like being at a place with less steps or a elevator to beach

also some hotels offer a private beach?
does that matter?

some talk of the "good side" of positano..
what does that mean , are some places more shady in daytime?

thanks fodorites!
b

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM

If you're in relatively decent shape, the stairs shouldn't be that big a deal unless you're staying at the top of town, or have had too much Prosecco at lunch!

Many hotels in Positano have small pools or no pools at all. That's because most people swim in the sea,and/ or take boats to coves along the coast. Just so you know, the beach in Positano is nothing much.

Two hotels that do have great pools are: Sirenuse, which will be WAY over your budget, and Covo dei Sarceni, which has gotten some mediocre reviews.

If you decide you can do without the pool, Albergo Miramare has gotten very good reviews here on the forum and at tripadvisor.com. It should be within your budget, but if you're interested, I'd contact them ASAP by e-mail or phone. It may already be too late for June, since it's a very small hotel. You could also try Palazzo Murat, which is at the bottom of town near the covered bazaar ( an area full of shops, boutiques, restaurants, and galleries).

Good luck with your plans!

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much
I will check out you recommendations

do you think Palazzo Murat would be too noisy since its near bazzar??

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I don't think Palazzo Murat would be too noisy. You can check it out through previous posts on this forum, at tripadvisor.com, and possibly at the slowtrav.com website, which is a great overall resource for Italy. Or, just post again here and ask the question in your header, "POSITANO: IS PALAZZO MURAT A NOISY PLACE?"

Good luck!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM

We stayed at the Palazzo Murat 2 years ago and loved it. A wonderful place (no pool though) that I would highly recommend.

Not noisy at all, in fact the only noise we heard was school children laughing and playing across the wall in the mornings and it was a delightful sound - not annoying in the least.

If you're interested, you can read our trip report here: http://www.hightide.com/travel/Italy2003/Italy2003.html

Happy & safe travels!!! =)
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:51 PM
awbaker

The Miramare and The Murat are sister hotels, although the Murat is a level above in terms of luxury, plus they have a wonderful restaurant. However, the Miramare has a much better view from their balconies. We stayed at the Miramare and enjoyed it. We stayed in room 203 (superior with large terrace) but room 210 is the best room, with a large terrace and a glass wall in the bedroom and bathroom. Neither hotels have pools BUT they both offer a 2 1/2 hour complimentary boat ride for guests.

We enjoyed getting drinks at The Poseidon hotel on their terrace with a small pool. It was lovely! The view didn't rival the Miramare, but it seems like a very nice hotel.

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:05 PM

The Hotel Poseidon is a lovely hotel in every way ( I've been lucky enough to stay there quite a few times), but I don't think it's within your budget. If you can, try to have lunch ( wonderful food!) or at least drinks on the restaurant terrace.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM

We actually paid 255 and about 280 Euros for the Poseidon this past September. I thought our less expensive room on a lower floor was good enough, and so did my friends who were miffed that they paid more for what was essentially the same room with a slightly better view, being higher up.

The pool was nice enough, but the hotel was really a great experience. We had fresh flowers in our room, delicious food, friendly and terrific service, and one night, "friends" of the hotel sang on the terrace. It was heavenly.

I would stay again.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Though I don't know what the rates are now, but we stayed at the Villa Franca hotel several years ago (under 300 euro at that time). I thought it was a lovely hotel and it had a pool on the rooftop. Because the hotel is situated near the top of Positano, it offered lovely views from the rooms and the rooftop. You did have to walk down many stairs and then the street to reach the beach, but the hotel also offered a shuttle. We loved it and would definitely stay there again.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:46 AM

I have to totally agree with tuscanlifeedit. The Poisedon IS heavenly. If it is within your budget, I'd highly recommend it!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for all the advice.
We booked the posideon for 6 nights, a junior suite, I think from what ive read its worth it.
b

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM

bwade,

That's great! You're going to love the Poseidon! And the views from the jr. suites are unforgettable.

If you can, ask the hotel to make reservations at one of the restaurants in Montepertuso, a small mountain village near Positano. Most of the restaurants provide free roundtrip transportation to and from your hotel. I've been to IL RITROVO and DONNA ROSA, both of which had wonderful food.

Have a great time-- I'm already jealous!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 01:38 PM

So right, weadles, Il Ritrovo and Donna Rosa are the absolute BEST restaurants in the area - don't miss them!!!! We ate at both when we were there 2 years ago and still long for the melt in your mouth ravioli and incredible porcini sauce...
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:09 PM

We also went to Il Ritrovo and the Poseidon arranged it for us. It was good, but my two favorite meals in the area were at the Hotel Poseidon itself. Very,very good food. I had the limone pasta twice. The profiteroles were the stuff of dreams, and even pannini by the pool were terrific.

If our lower priced room was heavenly, I can only guess how great your junior suite will be. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Il Ritrovo and La Tagliata will provide transportation and are very reasonable. Donna Rosa is elegant- our best meal in Italy but pricier and does not send a limo for pick-up. We took the local bus up for lunch and walked back down. Don't know when the bus service ends at night. Bus ticket was about 1 euro.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:55 PM

We stayed at the Villa Franca last summer. The views were wonderful... the pool lovely....but, the rooms were quite small, the air-conditioning did not work correctly, the electricity kept going off and the breakfast was so-so. The steps were not a problem, but my sister, husband and I exercise regularly. They would be a problem if you were out of shape. Positano was a wonderful destination. Enjoy you stay there.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM

In case you're interested, I just wanted to add to what one of the other posters mentioned-- that it's possible to walk back down to Positano from Montepertuso. As I remember it, there is a footpath in back of the local church in the main square that goes all the way down the mountain to Positano. Maybe aneckc can elaborate?

Once again, I totally agree with tuscanlifeedit about the food at The Poseidon. Don't miss it, and make sure to sample the fresh lemonade mixed up by the barman at the pool. It's like nothing I've ever tasted.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Weadles is correct- the footpath down to Positano is only a short walk from the Donna Rosa. The people at the Donna Rosa will show you exactly where to go. It was about a 45 minute walk downhill with stops for the view and to cool off from the heat. Il Ritrovo is just around the corner from the Donna Rosa.

I think the "good side" of Positano is on the side of the Basilica. We stayed at the Villa Rosa hotel with a wonderful view. Ate dinner at the Cafe Positano looking the other way and did not feel it was as impressive. We loved sitting out on our terrace enjoying the views both night and day.