Positano Hotel

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano Hotel

I know that Miramare is very popular among Fodorites. I've tried booking a room for my honeymoon but I think they are fully book.

What other "great" hotels are there?

WHat about the Marincanto? Posedion? I've typed in those names in the search but it all comes back to Mariamare being the ideal place to stay.

I'm kinda bummed out that its book so I'm really hoping to find another hotel that matches its "greatness". Especially this being our honeymoon, I wanted something really nice, great view, and bigger terrace then some of the other places mentioned.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM

If you're willing to spend a small fortune, try Le Sirenuse or Il Pietro.

I recently stayed at Albergo California (165€ per night for a huge double room with small terraces and a nice bathroom with a one-person Jacuzzi tub). We liked the hotel but it was pretty noisy from the traffic below.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM

We stayed at Buca di Bacco 10 years ago, recommended to friends who stayed there a couple of years ago and enjoyed, other friends are going end of August and staying there too. I loved this hotel, near the water, nice balcony and big rooms. Great breakfast on a terrace overlooking the sea, best oj I've tasted. I think Positano is one of the most romantic places in the world and the perfect place for a Honeymoon. Congratulations!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Do not be bummed out--there are many good hotels in Positano. My favorites include the Poseidon and the Palazzo Murat--and the Bucca di Bacco if you want on the beach.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Hi TxAggie,

I have a reservation at Albergo California in September (only 2 nights). Is the traffic noise an issue during the night? One would expect it during the day, but it'll be academic being that we'll be out and about.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM

In Positano on the beach is a great Hotel Pupetto. I stayed there in 1997 with hubby and again last year 2004 with some girl friends. Great hotel with balcony facing the Sea. Some of the best food too !!! If your driving they have a parking garage on the top and they bring your luggage to and from your room so you don't have to worry about it. It takes you 2 elevators in 2 different hotels to get you down to the bottom. But hey, hardly any walking and without luggage to think about very nice indeed.

Visit it at www.hotelpupetto.it

I highly recommend this property. We got lucky because we were too late to make the Hydro-foil (sp) to Capri so they called and got us a guide to drive us to and from and all around capri and along the Almafi coast by boat all for the same price it would have cost us to make that silly big boat. What a treat. The guy's name was Roberto. It was me an 3 other girls...we had the time of our lives !! Almafi is one of my favorite places.

You will have the best time ever !!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM

It largely depends on what room you get. Our room (2nd story) overlooked the street so there really was a lot of traffic noise. It does taper off around 11pm but it starts back up between 7am and 8am. If you sleep with the windows closed and a pillow on your head (ask at the front desk for extra pillows - they happily provide), you won't hear much.

Besides the noise, we loved the hotel. Maria couldn't be nicer. The room was huge and beautifully decorated. Breakfast was great and the staff was efficient and friendly.

Anyway, as you said you likely won't be in the room much during the day when it is really loud. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a really light sleeper and I did just fine with the windows closed and a pillow on my head.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

HOw about the Marincarto? Are the rooms/views there just as nice?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM

The Marincato is across the street from Albergo California (most rooms do NOT overlook the noisy stree). It is just a bit uphill from Le Sirenuse - the views should be the same. The hotel looks quite nice
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Having grown up in NYC, I've become immune to night noise; my wife on the other hand...

The staff at California informed me at time of reservation that my room will be located on the ground floor. I did put my request for an upper floor room if it becomes available. Read about the shortcomings of a ground floor room, namely limited to no scenic views.

I requested a rollaway bed for a third person. That may be what's forcing their hand in keeping me on the pianterreno. From what you recall, can a bed be easily transferred into upper floor rooms? No matter the outcome, my family and I look forward to enjoying ourselves.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Well we were in the newer portion of the hotel (new is relative, I think the old portion dates to the 18th century). The staircase going from the ground floor to the second floor (in Europe the 1st floor) wasn't very steep or narrow. I'd think you **could** get a rollaway single bed up it, but you'd probably need to fold up the frame and haul it and the mattress upstairs separately.

The hotel rooms (even on the ground level) are beautiful. We peeked in when the maids were cleaning. They were decorated with gorgeous ceramic tiles just like our "superior double" room.

Also, the terrace (would be right out in front of the ground floor rooms) is a great place for relaxing. The "roof" is beautiful grapevines and there are potted flowers all over the place. Maria and family have set out tables and chairs everywhere so you can relax and see the ocean... so, if you guys did want to chill at the hotel and see the sea, you could just move out to the main terrace and do so

Honestly even though we had a room with a view, we didn't spend that much time looking out the windows just b/c we didn't spend that much time in the hotel during daylight hours (except the "monsoon day" but we were there in May).