Positano Honeymoon Hotel

May 8th, 2005, 07:14 AM
epy
Original Poster

Positano Honeymoon Hotel

We are going to be in Positano for four nights on our honeymoon in late July. This is our first time in Positano. We are currently booked at Villa Rossa but I am wondering whether this is the best choice. The most we would like to spend is around 300 euros a night. We like to swim (either ocean or pool) - should we be staying at a hotel with a pool? Is it hard to locate chairs on the beach? We would like something somewhat romantic with a nice view. Other options I am considering:
1. Villa Franca - Superior Room 220 a night
2. Villa Franca - Deluxe Room with Jacuzza - 320 a night
3. Hotel Marincanto?
4. Other??

Thanks for the advice!

May 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Try the hotel Poseidon: http://www.hotelposeidonpositano.it

It is family owned and elegant for the price. I haven't stayed here but I have friends who love it and return every year.

BTW, people will tell you that Villa Franca is "far" from town. They have a shuttle van and the busstop is right there too and it is an easy stroll anyway. I have stayed at Villa Franca and I love it too.
May 8th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Just returned from a nice stay at the Poseidon and can recommend it highly. Our large room with private balcony was 230€. The terrace overlooking the city [dining, pool, lounging area] is about as romantic a spot as one could conjure up. The small pool is a lot better for cooling off than anything else.
May 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM

I've stayed at The Poseidon a few times, and never want to leave. It is one of my favorite hotels in Italy. However, its "swimming pool" is really the size of a large bathtub or jacuzzi. Just thought you should know! That being said, the hotel does have a lovely sunning deck next to the pool which has sweeping views of the town below.

Anyway, I can't recommmend this hotel enough. The rooms ( we had a simply decorated jr. suite with a large terrace overlooking town), service, staff, and unbelievable food were all heavenly!

Try to have dinner or lunch in Montepertuso, a mountain village that is very close to Positano. We had dinner at IL RITROVO, which had huge picture windows looking out over the mountain, and the food was incredible. I've always heard that DONNA ROSA is excellent, too. If you have your hotel call ahead, most of the restaurants in Montepertuso will arrange roundtrip transportation for guests.

As far as the beach in Positano goes, I hope you're not expecting the Caribbean. Pretty typical of the area, it's a narrow strip of sand that's very crowded in the summer. The water can feel brackish there, more like a lake than anything else, but people do go in. We took a boat trip along the coast, and swam in a private cove that our tour guide took us to. That might be a better choice. I know that Salvatore and Gennatore (spelling) are popular tour boat operators, who work down at the dock. Just try to book with them a day or two ahead.

Have fun, and congratulations on your honeymoon!
May 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Donna Rosa is a charming family run restaurant and our lunch there on the small terrace was the best of our trip. No views, however.
May 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM
epy
Original Poster

We are now considering L'Ancora and Poseidon. Is the Poseidon worth the extra 70 euros a night? We want a hotel with a nice view and access to a pool since it will be hot in July!
May 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM
ira

Hi epy,

>Is it hard to locate chairs on the beach? <

IIRC Positano beach is private. You pay to be on the beach and yo pay for lounge chairs.

May 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Is The Poseidon worth an extra 70E a night? Yes!-- but the pool is as mentioned earlier, the size of a large bathtub. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.
May 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I've stayed at Villa Rosa and Villa Franca. For a honeymoon, I would choose Villa Franca, for sure. It isn't as conveniently located since it's higher up in the town but the views are fabulous, the hotel is romantic, has a nice bar, restaurant, small pool with bar on the top of the property. I would go for the Deluxe room since the view will be a direct sea view. The rooms aren't huge or extravagant but it is charming and romantic. Villa Rosa is less expensive but there is no bar, no restaurant and no pool; which was fine for us on our last trip with our kids in the off season. For sunbathing and swimming, I prefer Capri. Capri has some great rocky areas with restaurants right on the water (no beach), rent a chair and have lunch and spend the whole day there. Lots of action and more of a resort feel.
May 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM
epy
Original Poster

I am still having a tough time with this decision!

We have three options now:
Merincanto – 230 a night – the rooms look great on the website – is this representative? My other concern with this one is they have no pool. Since it is our honeymoon and we will likely be tired from the wedding and travel, we may want to chill for a day or two. Is it difficult to get chairs on the beach?

L’Ancora - same price

Poseidon – 290 a night – everyone says this place is great although the price is tough to swallow in Canadian currency.

Thoughts?