Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Positano?Has anyone rented their own boat for a day?

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Positano end of June. The two of us (mid thirties) would really like to rent our own boat for the day. Does anyone have any experience with this? Boat rental companies? Captain or no captain? Itinerary? I think this would be an experience to remember!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
JBX

_
http://positano.starnetwork.it/engli...l_positano.htm

And,
You may get more responses tomorrow, when many regular posters are back to work and online.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM

I can't imagine anyone is going to let you just take their very valuable boat out unless they go with you - unless of course you want a row boat or similar - which really I don't reco - even though the Med is generally very tranquil. Are you planning to head out to the islands - or just wander up and down the coast.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thx JBX...maybe today I get some replies
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:03 AM
Biz

I did this a few years ago - there are several places to rent motorboats near the beach. I think it was about $60 for a half day (probably more now - the dollar was not so anemic when I did this) it was a highlight of the trip. We pulled into a cove and did some swimming (make sure to keep at least on person on the boat!) and then continued on to Amalfi, later circling back past Positano to some beautiful little jagged-rock islands just off the coast. Definitely do this if you can. Unformtunately I do not have any infomration on the place we rented to boat from, but it was all very easy to do, I think they just wanted a driver's license and credit card.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Sounds fun!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:43 AM

We did this too, but out of nearby Marina del Cantone, great fun ! We drove it ourselves, I can't remember the size of the motor but it was pretty slow so very easy to drive. I think the boat was about 6 meters. You can see a photo of it here :

http://kellyee21.smugmug.com/Italy-2...32_nBByX-M.jpg

We went from Marina del Cantone to Positano and back, stopping all over. They also said we could go to Capri from Marina del Cantone (not in the same day as Positano) and I wish we would have had another day to do that.

It was in July 2007 and we paid 75€ for the day with gas included, no deposit.

Have fun !
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM

we did this, my father, his new wife, and I, in 2000. We took the boat (a small motorized row boat) out to the islands with the sirens. I think we went to a small beach along the cliffs too--and a big wave soaked my father's camera.

Again, this was a very basic boat with an outboard motor. Our family were lifetime boaters so operating this and being at comfort with it was fine--for someone new, it would be even more adventure--maybe on the margin of comfort.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM

Hello Jynx, I assume you are boaters or have some experience with boats. You will have a beautiful day I am sure.

With saying that I just want to mention that I would be sure that what ever boat you rent has the proper amount of life jackets, one per passenger of course. I say that as a nephew of an Italian friend took us out on his boat and we had a splendid time but my husband wasn't completely relax as I am not a good or strong swimmer and there was not even one life jacket on the boat. Something we didn't notice until we were away from shore. Fortunately there wasn't any problem but boaters should always have lifejackets available and they should wear them if they can't swim or are not good swimmers.

Have a lovely time in Italy and I hope you will let us know how your boating trip turned out. Don't forget to take some pictures! Regards.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Does anyone know any names of companies that rent boats?
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM

We did this a few years ago, from Marina del Cantone. We pretty much stayed close to the coast in that area and did not venture off to Positano or Capri. Wherever you're staying in the area may have recommendations if you're not finding names of companies otherwise.
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Anyone done this recently and remember the name of the company they used? We will take a captain with us, but do not want to go with a group. We want to go to Capri, grotto, swim , and just cruise around on our own schedule.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:12 AM

My husband and I are heading to the Amalfi Coast and Capri in a couple of weeks. We rented a gozzi (traditional fishing boat with a canopy) for a full day to tour around Capri on our own without a skipper. You could take a ferry there from Positano for a day trip. The rate is 275 euros, but is for a full day rental and includes a tank of gas. You get snorkel gear, towels, an anchor, ice chest and map. We plan to take the boat around the perimiter of Capri, swim, and explore the coves/grottos. I booked this through Capritime Boats.

http://www.capritimeboats.com/
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Betts123 - thx! When are you going? Would love hear the details. We are going 6/25.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:13 AM

Here you go, Jynx: This is but one example of companies renting boats for the day:

http://www.lucibello.it/web/la-nostra-flotta/
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM

bookmarking
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM

We leave on 6/17 and have the boat reserved on 6/22. What day do you plan on renting the boat? Will try to post feedback before your boat rental if I can!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Leaving 6/25. Will be in positano 6/28-7/3. Let me know how it is, I know u are excited!!
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Boat rental was perfect! We had a blast and toured the entire island of Capri, with lots of stop to anchor and swim. The boat was about 18ft long with a large towel-covered lounge area up front. Included the snorkel masks, ice chest, noodles to float on while swimming, and anchor and a good map. I would highly recommend booking through Capri Time Boats. The rental was 275 euros for the entire day and included gas. You can also book hourly rentals. This has been the highlight of our trip so far!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -