Positano & more - help!!!!

Aug 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Positano & more - help!!!!

My girlfriend and I (early & young 50's are looking for a place in Positano with a wonderful views of the sea, with two separate beds, within walking distance of the town. I have been around and around and around the internet looking for something that isn't totally outrageously priced and am having problems finding it! We will be there Sept. 22nd to 29th and I didn't think that would be too busy but ....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We are also still looking for something wonderful in San Gimignano (within walking distance of the city) for Sept. 29th to Oct. 5th.

We have decided to go slow and relax on this holiday ... so 3 nights in Rome, a week in Positano, a week in Tuscany (with a car to explore) , a night in Florence before we fly home. We have booked our flights but nothing more sooooo any suggestions, help would be really appreciated ... it is my first visit to Italy and I am truly excited .
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Positano is great. Stayed at Villa Rosa which has many recs on Fodors. Across street from Sirenuse for a drink with the rich folk. Walk down to beach is not bad. Highly recommend. I can recommend a driver also if you need one. Take ferry to Amalfi and get up to Ravello. Have a great trip.
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:45 PM

About 4 years ago (in Sept) I stayed in San Gimignano for 2 nights and rented a great room within the city walls. It was a decent sized room with double bed, private bath and TV, clean, simple and pretty. The room was on the 2nd floor of a house (with other rentals and set ups) that was within the city gate. We paid about 50 Euro per night. The woman who we rented from was very accommodating and friendly and I highly recommend her. Her name is Aladina Bettini Giomi, phone and fax 39-0577-940431 or cell 349-446-7492. This was 4 years ago so I don't know if the numbers are still good. By the way, I don't know how her English is because my husband and I both spoke in Italian to her.

We found out about the apartment from the San Gim tourist office only upon arriving in town - you may want to try and contact them directly and see what is available.
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Texas Tiger & Hamlet for your suggestions!

I thought it would be easy to do this on the internet but it is MIND boggling!
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM

I haven't stayed there, but have been hearing a lot about L'ALCIONE RESIDENCE, an apt/hotel, just across the street from Le Sirenuse, so very well-located. I've been in touch with the owner for next year, and the prices are remarkably cheap for Positano. I'm sorry, but I don't seem to have the websiste address. However, somebody just posted about their stay here within the last week or so, so if you check posts with the name, you will most likely find it.

We usually stay at HOTEL POSEIDON, a few minutes uphill from LE SIRENUSE, but all of these hotels have gotten remarkably expensive, esp. with the terrible exchange rate!
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM
ira

Hi G,

The season on the AC extends at least to Oct 1.

What's your hotel budget?

Aug 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Try the Best Western Pasitea in Positano. The rooms are just lovely, with a balcony with seating and awesome views. We got a senior rate on the Best Western site. I wouldn't stay in a BW chain in the US, but in Europe it's a whole different story.
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your suggestions ... will check them out.

Tried the Best Western which looks nice (although not what we were originally looking for) but we can't get accommodation there for our week.

We were hoping to get a little apartment with a wonderful view for under $200 Cdn a night. When I first started looking, a few weeks ago, there were some nice ones. By the time we got our dates firmed and our flights booked they had gone. I can't imagine staying in Positano and not having a wonderful view of the ocean.

Again, thanks for all your help ... am off to look them all up. gem
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM

gem:

You might want to consider something "down" rather than "up"..that's the best way to describe Positano.

We've stayed at the Buca di Bacco and have sent friends there also. It's on the beach with three deck stories, each seaview room has a large terrace..and the hotel is a classy one...nowhere near the rates of Sirenuse, etc....breakfast buffet is excellent...rooms two years ago were 180E's for sea view, 250E's today..unfortunately you are going to be there at the end of high season.
Low season starts October 8th!

The B di B is seen on all postcards of Positano, the staff is very helpful.
Also suggest taking boat to Amalfi (for Ravello visit...bus at the docks)..and a little boat to Capri for a day trip or overnight. Tix are sold in kiosks on the beachside.
Whatver you choose, happy travels...you will love the Amalfi Coast...

Stu T.
http://www.bucadibacco.it/
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu

I have so many sites bookmarked it will take me forever to go through them! But I AM making notes of all the wonderful suggestions I am getting . gem