Reasonable Positano Accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast at the beginning of May, can anyone recommend a hotel that doesn't cost a fortune, preferably under 150 euros or less. We don't need anything fancy, just something clean with our own bathroom.

Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM

Does it have to be in Positano?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

Slightly over your budget, but we stayed at Villa Rosa for 160 euros in May last year. Ask for a room on one of the higher floors, no elevator but worth it for the view.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
jgarvey

I can't say enough good things about this "residenza" that DH and I stayed in during early March of 2007 (off-season prices, of course). I got the name by writing to the tourist office, since so many place were still closed at the time of year.

The building is small and a combination of apartments and rooms. We got the apartment on the third floor for 90 euros per night, and the view was incredible! There were two large balconies--one off the bedroom and one off the dining room. The apartment was very large and beautifully decorated and equipped with all of the essentials. Breakfast (just lovely) was delivered on a silver tray by a lovely woman (in full uniform!) Per our request, she even brought up an extra pot of coffee an hour later.

The owner's name is Angela, and she is also the owner of a lovely boutique on the ground floor. It was in walking distance of the beach, through the lovely alleyways filled with other beautiful hotels (still closed) and shops, including a quickie market and a lovely bar for cafe and pastries. It was also directly on the local bus line. The two restaurants we experienced were just magnificient--one very nearby and one higher up the cliff.

Anyway, I know I am gushing. If you can get a room/apartment here, you will thank your lucky stars! BTW, this incredible find is just across the street from one of the most expensive hotels (Le Sirenuse) in Positano. We walked into their lobby and saw one of their brochures. Need I say that we felt we got the better deal.

Anyway, here is the website: www.alcioneresidence.com. Please let me know if you view the site and can make a reservation there. You will not be sorry. jg

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi S,

I can highly recommend www.lesirene.com in Praiano, about 6 km East of Positano.

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM

We stayed in Albergo California. I loved it. The hotel was beautiful. It was a great location, slightly up the cliffs a litte, but not too far. The views were spectacular. The hotel was extremely clean. We paid 170 Euro's a night, but that was for three people in a room. It may be a little less for a two person room. I would definitely reccomend staying in Positano. There is so much to do and see there. And then if you want you could take day trips to the other towns.
Z
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Oh, I am happy to hear that someone stayed at Residence Alcione. I ducked in there as we were leaving Positano this year as it is right next door to Villa Rosa. The location is great and the prices look really good. If I ever get back to Positano, we may trade our beloved Villa Rosa for Residence Alcione.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM

We stayed at Casa Maresca in Positano. It is just below the street, so it isn't a long walk up or down. But it isn't noisy from traffic. You walk down the street to the town (nice walk!). We had the top rooms (2 bedrooms, 2 nice baths, kitchen and "living room" but I think it can be closed off so that either side could be used for just one bedroom. There were other rooms just below us but every room had beautiful views. English husband and Italian wife. It was great!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM

We are staying at Pensione Casa Guadagno...@ 100 Euros per night. Read only positive reviews. Simple hotel, but nice. We aren't planning on hanging in our room much so the others pricey hotels in Positano were hard to justify.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Does it have to be Positano, well, we're going with another couple and she says it's the best place to stay. Of course, if Praiano is only 6KM from Positano I don't see a problem.

All of these seem to have views and clean rooms. There is no pricing for Casa Maresco or Residence Alcione on the web???

Residence Alcione is an apartment but if I'm understanding right it has the services of a hotel, is that right? If breakfast was served I'm guessing it's not like just renting an apartment and being on your own because that's not something we want.

Pensione Casa Guadagno also looks like a gem. If I can one of those for such a deal I don't see why I should pay more. We will have a car, how much is the parking?

So now, which place to get? Looks like I'll have to email to get pricing.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:00 PM

suze1 - Just a note - Pensione Casa Guadagno does not have air conditioning. If that's not a problem for you then it looks great for the price!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Do we need air conditioning by the ocean the first week of May, not sure what the temperatures are like at that time of the year. Does any one know?
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM

I have not stayed in Positano (we have stayed near Sorrento and in Massa Lubrense several times) so I do not have a place to recommend to you, suze1, but I am enjoying a nice little visit as I take a look at the places recommended here.

I hope you find the perfect place for you and thoroughly enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
jgarvey

Residence Alcione--As noted earlier, we were there in early March, when it was still pretty cool. At night we used the heaters which I'm pretty sure were also ACs. Although we stayed in one of the apartments (gigantic), I believe that there was also one unit that was just a room--pretty large also. It is actually more like a B&B, nice breakfast brought to the room but no reception area or staff round the clock and no dining room. Angela's shop is on the ground floor, and she actually lives in the same building. She was very attentive to our needs and we felt that we could call her at any time. We did not have a car, so I don't know about parking.

I will restate that we felt like we were in a luxury suite of a small hotel, we had a magnificent view (two large balconies), and we were within walking distance to the beach, shopping, a small market, a cafe, and the small local bus stopped right on the road in front of the hotel.

Again, it was low season, so we paid 90 euros per night for this large and elegant apartment. There was even a washing machine in the kitchen. Just can't say enough about it and the luxury we enjoyed for that price. Unbelievable!

If the rates are not published on line, you can call and speak to Angela directly. Her English is very good. Good luck with your choice. jg

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

How close is the apt/hotel from the beach (approx. how many steps; minutes walking time).

I realize you didn't have a car but did you notice if there was parking available at the apt/hotel, or, on the street?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
jgarvey

Suze, there was a small parking lot directly across the street from the Alcione, but I would not know if it was open to the public or part of another property. I'm certain that if you sent an email to Angela, she would be able to give you info about parking.

Ah-the walk to the beach! Since it was all downhill with stopping and browsing along the way, it seemed to take about 15 minutes. Now going back uphill was another story altogether! I have a bad knee and not the strongest legs or stamina, so that took a bit longer with occasional stopping and resting moments and/or going into shops to browse and buy. It was still worth it though, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. This is why you are supposed to travel when you are young and strong!

If you have any more questions, I would happy to tell you everything to the best of my memory. jg

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM

jgarvey - I sent an email to Residence Alcione and they have not responded. I was on their website and it didn't give the full email address (left off the end) so I guessed it was ".it". Do you know the full email address??? Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM

DW and I stayed in Hotel Villa La Tartana a couple of years ago. http://www.villalatartana.it/welcome_uk.htm
We both enjoyed it. The hotel was renovated in 2000. Rates for 2007 are 170E. The hotel is clean and bright. Breakfast is served to your room so you can sit on your own balcony and enjoy the views.

Traveling on the Amalfi coast isn't super easy. There are buses that go from town to town on a regular schedule, but expect some effort getting around. Don't drive your own car unless you know you'll have parking. Depending on where you're coming from I'd recommend getting a driver to bring you in/out of Positano. There are tons of posts here with recommendations for that.

Positano and the Amalfi coast is one of the most beautiful places you'll go. Enjoy!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I stayed in and enjoyed the Hotel Marincanto in 2000. It has a parking lot, which is why I chose it. I think it's right across from Villa Rosa. I had a modest room with balcony and a fabulous view (also from the bed), helpful staff. Don't know what the rates are, but much less than some others there: you can check their website.

Karen
http://www.pbase.com/karenmickleson
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Whoops! I just checked their site, and the rates have clearly gone up. Sorry about that.

Karen
http://www.pbase.com/karenmickleson

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -