Reload this Page >

Pony Cart Tours of Ring of Kerry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Pat

Friends rave over a ride/tour on the Ring of Kerry in a pony cart to a lake then back over the lake in a fishing boat, where can I book this? Has anyone done it? We will be in Ireland two weeks, so want to see it.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Bob C

The lakes are in Killarney Nat Park. The jaunting cars line up at Kenmare Place in Killarney town offering rides to the park sites and other scenic areas. Check your guide book for more details.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:19 PM
xxxxxx

I would like to know too, this sounds like fun. Anyone?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Adam

This is the Gap of Dunloe tour. You can choose the jaunting car (pony cart) or to go by horseback or hike. www.derostours.com Any good guide book on Ireland would have given you that info. I suggest you get one.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:40 AM
maureen

absolutely, a wonderful experience,we did mother /daughter trip to Ireland and we are still howling of this adventure.....

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 11:11 AM
i

Hey Adam, thanks for being so snotty. I'm sure the other readers really appreciated a snippy know it all like you.<BR><BR>Actually, though most guide books mention the trip, it's hard to find the particulars and there are a number of options and costs. You can either do a tour that takes care of the whole thing or try to figure it out on your own. Most tours will suggest you need to book a bus to get to Kate Kearney's Cottage, but I believe that isn't the case. Michele at irelandyes.com has some prices on her trip planning board. You can do a search to find out. Also, you may be able to bargain for the jaunting car ride.<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:31 PM
herb roycroft

This is the Classical Killarney Trip and has been on the go for over a hundred years.Deros calls it The Gap of Dunloe tour.I really enjoyed it.Killarney National; Park is a "must" on any Irish trip and this is one of its highlights.Only go though on a fine day.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:53 PM
Pat

I have a Cadogan guide book that says it exists, but no other information. I wanted, too, to hear from someone who has done it. No need to get snippy Adam, but thanks for the information. Now I have some web sites to look up and when I had done a google search nothing specific came up. If this is a travel site, I thought questions of the nature of this one were appropriate.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM
Alec

I was staying near the Ring of Kerry until last Saturday and did a number of hiking and cycling trips around Killarney.<BR><BR>Jaunty cars<BR>are everywhere around the lakes in Killarney and, though there's no obligation to take them, the drivers (jarveys) can be rather persistent. It's a fun experience to take just one trip, and a short ride for half hour or so needn't be expensive. However, everywhere they go, you can either walk or cycle (the best way - good cycle hire in Killarney).<BR><BR>Gap of Dunloe<BR>I did this trip twice, once from the southern end (from youth hostel) and the more popular northern (from Kate Kerney's Cottage - an overpriced cafe/restaurant - take your own picnic). To get to the southern end, you can drive on minor road just past Moll's Gap, or take a boat from Ross Castle near Killarney (with your bike if you prefer) to Lord Brandon's Cottage and then a steep climb for a few miles to the top of the Gap (again jaunty cars available). You can in fact DRIVE through the Gap, perhaps not at weekends when the crowd is greatest.<BR><BR>How to book<BR>There are a number of tour operators with their shops in Killarney who can arrange everything for you, but you can perfectly do it yourself more cheaply. Bike hire is around 10-12 euro a day, and boat trip around 10 euro.<BR><BR>I must say County Kerry was marvellous and the scenery stunning. The key to get the best out of it I think is to take to the hills, armed with a map and a picnic. The Kerry Way can be followed in sections which takes in a number of stunning views, and hardly any crowd even in August.<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:35 PM
mikey

See Pat's Preston's site for a descritption of all the tours in Killarney<BR><BR>http://www.irelandexpert.com/kerry-sightseeing_tours.htm<BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
bill

Alec:<BR><BR>Great advice. Well described. Did you get an ordinance map of the area. It seems hard to find a good map online that shows exactly where everything is, but your decription lays it out well. If you know of a good online map, let me know. My sisters are traveling with me next year, so I need to be prepared. They are not particularly spur of the moment types.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Alec

Yes, I did buy Ordnance Survey Discovery Series maps at 1:50000. 78 covers Killarney National Park and MacGillycuddy's Reeks. 83 and 84 covers the western and southern end of Iveragh Peninsula. I haven't come across useful online maps which are detailed enough for hiking and cycling.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
bill

Thanks Alec